Malaysia Emigration and Immigration
|Malaysia Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Records[edit | edit source]
- 1890-1960 Passenger Lists Leaving UK 1890-1960 at FindMyPast; index & images ($); includes those with Destination of Malaysia
Immigration and naturalization records (Imigrasi, pewarganegaraan)[edit | edit source]
Research use: Very valuable for making proper connections to place of origin in other countries, and for pinpointing place of residence in Indonesia. Many researchers do not know their ancestor's place of origin.
Record type: Record of immigrants, foreign residents, and citizens.
Time Period: 1800-present.
Content: Immigrant’s name, age, occupation, birth date and place, former residence, destination; wife’s name, childrens’ given names and ages or number of children; religion, race, nationality, sometimes picture. Chinese immigration records give names and places in Chinese characters.
Location: National Archives, municipal archives, Chinese community kapitans.
Population coverage: 5%.
External Links[edit | edit source]
- Immigration to Malaysia
- The Mahathir Years
- Malaysian Chinese
- Arrival of the Chinese in the Malay Peninsula
- The origins of the Hokkien, Cantonese, and Other Chinese Dialect Groups in Malaysia
- Tamil Malaysians
- From Ancient Times to Modern Days: A Brief History of Indian Migration to Malaysia
- India's Diaspora Policy: A Case Study of Indians in Malaysia
- Indians in Malaysia
- Malaysian Diaspora
References[edit | edit source]
- The Family History Department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, “Family History Record Profile: Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei,” Word document, private files of the FamilySearch Content Strategy Team, 2000.