Louisiana State Penitentiary Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Louisiana State Penitentiary Records, 1866-1963
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Louisiana|
|Location of Louisiana|
|Record Type||Penitentiary Records|
|Louisiana State Archives, Baton Rouge|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection includes penitentiary records from 1866 to 1963. This collection includes a seven-volume index of prisoners and 36 volumes registering convicts admitted to the prison. The prison was opened in 1835. Although some early records of inmates were made, they are not complete.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Louisiana State Penitentiary Records, 1866-1963.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the individual
- The approximate age of the prisoner
- The years in prison
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the Record
- Select the Record Type, Volume and Year Range to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog Louisiana, State Penitentiary Records, 1866-1963. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the information found in the record to locate a death record
- Use the age or estimated birth date to determine an approximate birth date to find vital records such as birth, baptism, and marriage
- Use the information found in the record to find land, probate and immigration records
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in census records
- Search for court records
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Louisiana.
- Louisiana Guided Research
- Louisiana Record Finder
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.