Los Alamos New Mexico Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Los Alamos Family History Center is a genealogical library located at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Los Alamos, New Mexico. It is open for use by patrons from or visiting Los Alamos. It includes 5 internet-connected computers, free Ancestry.com and other subscription genealogical sites searches, microfilm viewing and help with your genealogy. A similar Family History Center is located in near-by White Rock, New Mexico.
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 = Hardware and Equipment
- 5 Center Services
- 6 Resources in the Local Area
- 7 Links
- 8 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours[edit | edit source]
- 1967 18th St Los Alamos NM 87544 United States
- To visit the Los Alamos Family History Center; as you enter the town going west on Trinity Drive (Highway 502), turn right (north) on 15th Street, then left on North Sage Street, and drive a block into the Church parking lot.
- Park to the left (south) end of the building, and access the Family History Center via the south door.
- There is handicap parking and a wheelchair ramp, with one step at the door, to access the building.
- Tuesday:9:00-12:00pm and 7:00pm-9:00pm
Closed all holidays: Closed last two weeks of December:
We occasionally close unexpectedly because of inclement weather or illness: Please call for information about unexpected alterations to our normal operation hours:
Calendar and Events[edit | edit source]
Upcoming Events[edit | edit source]
Class Schedule[edit | edit source]
Staff Training Meetings[edit | edit source]
Center Resources[edit | edit source]
Collections[edit | edit source]
- A modest collection of genealogical books is housed in the Center, including works such as "Origins of New Mexico Families" by Fray Angelico Chavez.
Databases and Software[edit | edit source]
- Family History Center Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
= Hardware and Equipment[edit | edit source]
- 5 Internet-connected computers
- 2 Microfilm readers
- 1 Microfiche reader
- A large collection of microfilm (over a thousand)
- A collection of microfiche
- Genealogy books
- Consultants for hands-on assistance
Center Services[edit | edit source]
Staff Research Specialties[edit | edit source]
Microfilm ordering, viewing and copying assistance; Starting or using free cloud (internet) family trees, including Ancestry.com and FamilyTree.
Resources in the Local Area
[edit | edit source]
- White Rock Family History Center, 366 Grand Canyon Dr., Los Alamos (White Rock), NM 505-672-9888 -- A large database of Los Alamos area obituaries (1963-2008) is available in the White Rock Family History Center.
- Mesa Public Library, Los Alamos, New Mexico
Links[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Research Wiki: What It Can Do For You!: A comprehensive video presentation explaining the Wiki, navigating it, and some especially useful pages. Case studies demonstrate using the Wiki for genealogical research. Editing and adding articles to the Wiki are covered.
Volunteer at the Center[edit | edit source]
Volunteers welcome, see the Stake Temple and Family History Consultant - Center to discuss.