Leicestershire Church Records
|Leicestershire Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Records[edit | edit source]
Large collections of Leicestershire church records are available online in:
- Boyd's Marriage Index at findmypast (£).
- Leicestershire's parish record at findmypast (£).
- International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free. 774,750 baptisms, 278,089 marriage entries, 225,320 burials. Coverage.
- Archdeaconry of Leicester Marriage Licence Index (1570-1729) at Internet Archive - free.
- 57 Leicestershire parishes are indexed in Joiner's Marriage Index (£). Coverage.
Parish Registers[edit | edit source]
Most Leicestershire parish registers and bishop's transcripts are held at the Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland Record Office. Limited parish registers have been microfilmed. Many bishop's transcripts are on microfilm through the Family History Library.
Online Parish Records[edit | edit source]
- 1533-1991 - England, Leicestershire Parish Registers, 1533-1991 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection; index
Indexes[edit | edit source]
- 1510-1900s Leicestershire Parish, Birth & Christenings Records at MyHeritage — index, ($)
- 1510-1900s Leicestershire Parish, Burial Records at MyHeritage — index, ($)
Marriages[edit | edit source]
Burials[edit | edit source]
- National Burial Index, 3rd ed. Includes 330,000 Leicestershire burials: FHL CD-ROM no. 6356. Leicestershire entries are not included in the online edition on findmypast.
Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society have published two volumes of Leicestershire burials:
- Leicestershire & Rutland Burial Index FHL CD-ROM no. 6581.
- Leicestershire & Rutland Burial Index Volume 2, 1813-1891 FHL CD-ROM no. 2016.
Marriage Licences[edit | edit source]
Early Archdeaconry of Leicester marriage licences (1570-1729) have been published and available online.
A card index at the Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland Record Office covering 1731-1891 has been microfilmed: FHL Films 1517629-1517635.
Ecclesiastical Court[edit | edit source]
Ecclesiastical court records from the Archdeaconry of Leicester have been microfilmed for the years 1526 through 1825. There is no index. These records deal chiefly with fornication, adultery, slander, marriage (within degrees) and divorce. They identify the individuals concerned as well as their places (parish) of residence: FHL Film 1538125 (first of 22 films).
Nonconformists[edit | edit source]
Society of Friends[edit | edit source]
- English Friends records, Warwickshire, Leicestershire and Rutlandshire : marriages, births and burials, 1623-1729
References[edit | edit source]
- 'Coverage of the Joiner Marriage Index', The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 1 September 2013.
- 'National Burial Index - 3rd Edition Coverage,' Federation of Family History Societies, http://www.ffhs.org.uk/projects/nbi/nbi-coverage.php, accessed 19 August 2013.
- 'National Burial Index records coverage,' findmypast, http://www.findmypast.co.uk/national-burial-index-coverage-counties.action, accessed 19 August 2013.