Labette County, Kansas Genealogy
Guide to Labette County, Kansas ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Information
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biographies
- 2.3 Business, Commerce, and Occupations
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census Records
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
- 2.11 Funeral Homes
- 2.12 Genealogies
- 2.13 Guardianship
- 2.14 Land and Property Records
- 2.15 Local Histories
- 2.16 Maps and Gazetteers
- 2.17 Migration
- 2.18 Military Records
- 2.19 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.20 Newspapers
- 2.21 Obituaries
- 2.22 Other Records
- 2.23 Periodicals
- 2.24 Probate Records
- 2.25 School Records
- 2.26 Social Security Records
- 2.27 Tax Records
- 2.28 Vital Records
- 3 Research Facilities
- 4 Societies
- 5 Websites
- 6 Research Guides
- 7 References
County Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
Labette County Courthouse
501 Merchant Street
PO Box 387
Oswego, Kansas 67356
Labette County Website
County Clerk has birth records 1885-1896 and death records 1885-1889.
Probate Judge has marriage and probate records from 1870.
Clerk District Court has divorce and court records from 1870.
Register of Deeds has land records from 1875.
A yearly county census was taken 1915-1979. 
Labette County, Kansas Record Dates[edit | edit source]
Information for this chart was taken from various sources, often containing conflicting dates. This information should be taken as a guide and should be verified by contacting the county and/or the state government agency.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit Hometown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
History Timeline[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
Bible Records[edit | edit source]
Biographies[edit | edit source]
Business, Commerce, and Occupations[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Kansas became a territory in 1854 and the first territory census taken was in 1855. It was also enumerated as Kansas Territory in the 1860 Federal Census, although there were 15 counties that were marked with "no population" in them. The state continued to take state censuses after it was admitted to the Union in 1861. See links listed below.
State and Territorial Census Records[edit | edit source]
- 1855-1925 - Kansas State Census Collection, 1855-1925 at Ancestry — ($), Index and images; covers census years 1855-1859, 1865, 1875, 1885, 1895, 1905, 1915, 1925
- 1860 - 1860 U.S. Federal Census for Kansas Territory at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection; Index and images
- 1860 - 1860 U.S. Federal Census for Kansas Territory at Ancestry — ($), Index and images
- 1865 - Kansas State Census, 1865 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index and images
- 1875 - Kansas State Census, 1875 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index and images
- 1885 - Kansas State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; images
- 1895 - Kansas State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index and images
- 1905 - Kansas State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index
- 1915 - Kansas State Census, 1915 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index and images
- 1919-1961 - Kansas, City and County Census Records, 1919-1961 at Ancestry — Partial index (4 counties) and images
- 1925 - Kansas State Census, 1925 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index
Federal Census Records[edit | edit source]
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Kansas Church Records.
- 1861-1918 - Kansas, Swedish Church Records, 1861-1918 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index
- Brown Chapel, African Methodist Episcopal
- Cecil Church (historical)
- Center Bethel Church
- Center Chapel
- Edna Baptist Church
- Elm Church
- Hopewell Church
- Mount Pleasant Baptist
- Mount Zion Baptist Church (historical)
- Pleasant Hill Church
- St. Paul's Church. [See book: Protestant Episcopal Church, Kansas Parish Registers of Baptisms, Burials, Marriages, Etc: Chetopa, St. Paul's Church, 1889-1960]
- Salem Church (historical)
- Spring Valley Church
- Zion Hill Church
List of Churches and Church Parishes
Court Records[edit | edit source]
Labette County Courthouse
501 Merchant Street
PO Box 387
Oswego, Kansas 67356
Labette County Website
Directories[edit | edit source]
Emigration and Immigration[edit | edit source]
Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups[edit | edit source]
Funeral Homes[edit | edit source]
Genealogies[edit | edit source]
Guardianship[edit | edit source]
Land and Property Records[edit | edit source]
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kansas Land and Property for additional information about early Kansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
The Labette County Register of Deeds Office has land records from 1867.
An additional resource is: 'Deed records, Labette County, 1868-1877, Kansas by the Daughters of the American Revolution, Oceanic Hopkins Chapter (Pittsburg, Kansas) and Margaret Grandle. Available on microfilm at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah and FamilySearch Centers worldwide.
Online Land Records
- Land Patent Search - index to federal patents and homesteads on the Bureau of Land Management website, some images available
- 1796-1907 - U.S. General Land Office Records, 1796-1907 at Ancestry - index, info taken from Bureau of Land Management website
- 1863-1908 - U.S. Homestead Records 1863-1908 at Ancestry.com - ($), index and images
For more information see Kansas Land and Property
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Labette County, Kansas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Kansas Local Histories.
See WorldCat to locate the following materials: [Note: some digital versions are available online.]
Brotherton, Mike, and Mattox, David. Labette County. Arcadia Pub. , 2011.
Canfield, Thomas H. Business Directory of the City of Oswego: Labette County, Kansas, Containing a History of the Town from the Beginning, with the Present Business of the Place, Together with an Outline Map of the City and Its Surroundings, Its Population and Its Railroad Facilities, Present and Future. Oswego: Printed by Colver & M'Gill, 1870.
Earle, Jonathan, Ted Wilson, Norman Saul, Paul Kelton, Stephen Hasiotis, and John N. Mack. Swords into Ploughshares: the Struggle to Build an Ordered Community of Liberty on the Southeast Kansas Frontier 1867-1876. , 2009. Internet resource at KU Scholar Works.
Graue, Bertha I, and Norman R. Peters. The Bartlett Book: A Collection of Newspaper Articles Containing a History of the Many Families Who Have Lived in the Southern Part of Labette County, Kansas, 1850-1977. Washington, D.C.] (Box 21117, Washington 20009: N.R. Peters, 1982.
James Lincoln Stice Papers: Scrapbooks, Letters, Newspaper Clippings, Photographs. Fayetteville, Ark: Special Collections Division, University Libraries, 1999.
Kinton, Maxine L. Some Ohioans to Labette Co., Kansas. Mansfield, Ohio: M.L. Kinton, 1980.
Labette County, Kansas. S.l.: General Books, 2010.
Nixon, Ruth. History of Big Hill and Old Mt. Zion. Cherryvale? (Kan.: s.n., 1982.
Parsons, Labette County, Kansas Years from 1869 to 1895 : Story of "the Benders". Parsons, Kan. : Bell Bookcraft, 1970. Digital version at Internet Archive.
Online County Histories
- History of Labette County, Kansas and Representative Citizens. 1901. Edited and compiled by Hon. Nelson Case. Chicago, Illinois : Biographical Pub. Co. Online at: FamilySearch Digital Library, Internet Archive, Ancestry ($); At various libraries (WorldCat).
- History of Labette County, Kansas, From the First Settlement to the Close of 1892. 1893. By Nelson Case. Topeka, Kansas : Crane & Co. Online at: FamilySearch Digital Library, Hathitrust, Internet Archive, Google Books; At various libraries (WorldCat).
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
The David Rumsey Map Collection website has digitized atlas maps of Labette County, as well as the cities of Altamont, Chetopa, Dennis, Labette City, Mathewson, Montana, Mortimer, Mound Valley, Neosho Falls, Oswego, and Parsons. The maps' source is "The Official State Atlas of Kansas compiled from government surveys, county records and personal investigations" Philadelphia. L.H. Everts & Co. 1887.
Migration[edit | edit source]
Military Records[edit | edit source]
The WorldCat website provides holdings details for the following publications and archival materials:
Civil War Veterans to Labette Co., Kansas. Kansas?: s.n, 1900.
Hollingsworth, Patricia Merrill. World War I Draft Registration Cards Labette County Kansas. Mariba, Kentucky : P.M. Hollingsworth, 2003. (Available at FamilySearch centers.)
Kinton, Maxine L. Some Civil War Veterans to Labette Co., Kansas. Mansfield, Ohio: M.L. Kinton, 1980.
Mack, John N. "A Second Revolution: The Struggle to Define the Meaning of the Civil War in Southeast Kansas, 1867-1876." Kansas History. 32.1 (2009)
Memorial ... Parsons, Kansas. Parsons, Kan.?: s.n., 1970.
Nixon, Perry O. C. [Civil War Memoir of Perry O.C. Nixon, Sergeant, Company C, 10th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment, 1861-1865]. , 1907
Online Collections[edit | edit source]
These collections are unique to Kansas. You will find nationwide databases for military records on U.S. Military Online Genealogy Records and Kansas Military Records.
Collections Covering Multiple Wars
- Kansas Military Index at Kansas Historical Society - Index only, includes Civil War, Spanish-American War, World War I, World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Iraq and Afghanistan Conflicts
- Records of the Deaths and Burials at the Kansas State Soldiers Home - Index only, the home is located in Fort Dodge, Ford County, Kansas.
- Kansas Civil War Soldiers at the Ancestry.com - ($), Index only
- 1862, 1863, 1868: Kansas, Civil War Enlistment Papers, 1862, 1863, 1868 at the Ancestry.com - ($), Index and images
- 1866-1931: Kansas, Grand Army of the Republic Bound Post Records, 1866-1931 at the Ancestry.com - ($), Index and images
- 1880-1940: Kansas, Grand Army of the Republic Post Reports, 1880-1940 at the Ancestry.com - ($), Index and images
- 1889: Kansas, Enrollment of Civil War Veterans, 1889 at the Ancestry.com - ($), Index and images
- Kansas Civil War Soldiers at the Ancestry.com - ($), Index and images
Spanish-American War (1898)
- 1945-1970: Kansas, United Spanish War Veterans Reports of Deaths, 1945-1970 at the Ancestry.com - ($), Index and images
World War I
- History and Roster of the Kansas State Guard (WWI) at KSGenWeb - Taken from the book by the Adjutant General's Office
- 1917-1919: Kansas, World War I Veteran Collection, 1917-1919 at the Ancestry.com - ($), Index and images
- 1930: Kansas, Enrollment of WWI Veterans, 1930 at the Ancestry.com - ($), Index and images
World War II
- 1940-1946: Web: Kansas, WWII Selective Service Index, 1940-1946 at the Ancestry.com - ($), Index and images
- World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing, State of Kansas, War Dept-June 1946 at KSGenWeb - Index only
For further information see Kansas Military Records.
Naturalization and Citizenship[edit | edit source]
- 1864 - 1972 - Kansas, Naturalization Abstracts, 1864-1972 at Ancestry — ($), Index
- 1865 - 1874 - Kansas Indian Naturalizations, ca. 1865-1874 at the National Archives — Index, District of Kansas, Record Group 21.
- 1865 - 1984 - Kansas, Federal Naturalization Records, 1865-1984 at Ancestry — ($), Index and images
- 1917 - 1918 - Kansas, Registration Affidavits of Alien Enemies, 1917-1918 at Ancestry — ($), Index and images, includes German and other aliens living in Kansas
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
For more information, see Kansas Newspapers.
Kansas Newspapers Online
- Kansas Newspapers at Newspapers.com - ($), free to Kansas residents through Kansas Historical Society
- GenealogyBank - ($), contains images of Kansas newspapers
- Newspaper Archive - ($), contains images of Kansas newspapers
- Chronicling America - contains images of some Kansas newspapers; searching tips
- Elephind - Free; search engine that retrieves newspaper images from other free newspaper websites
Kansas Newspaper Catalogs
- Kansas Online Historical Newspapers - contains a list of known Kansas newspapers online and the websites they are found on
- U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present on Chronicling America - contains a list of all known newspapers and the dates they cover; once you locate a newspaper name, contact the local library to see if they have copies of the newspaper
Current newspapers in Labette include the Altamont Journal, Chetopa Advance, Labette Avenue, Oswego Independent-Observer, and Parsons Sun.
Historical newspapers: The Kansas Historical Society holds the following newspapers on microfilm: [for dates and additional information see the Newspaper Index at their website.
Altamont Gazette, Altamont Journal, Altamont Saturday Item, Altamont Sentinel, American Crank, Anti-Monopolist, Arbitrator, Bartlett News, Blade-Democra , Breeze, Chetopa Advance, Chetopa Advance Reunion Daily, Chetopa Advance-Clipper, Chetopa Clipper, Chetopa Democrat, Chetopa Herald, Chetopa Statesman, Chetopa Times, Coffins Business Directory, Daily Eclipse, Daily Eli, Daily Evening Star, Daily News, Daily Out-Look, Daily Pilot, Daily Republican, Democrat, Dennis Hustler, Dennis Leader, Edna Enterprise, Edna Independent, Edna News, Edna Star, Edna Sun, Evening Herald, Evening Journal, Eye Opener, Farm Talk, Golden Rod, High School Sentiment, Independent, Infant Wonder [many variant titles], Kansas Advocate, Kansas Christian Advocate, Kansas Democrat, Kansas Farm and Home, Kansas Messenger, Kansas State Alliance, Kansas Workman, Labette County Democrat, Labette County Statesman, Labette County Times, Labette County Times-Statesman, Labette Record, Labette Sentinel, Labette Star, Mills' Weekly World, Mound Valley Herald, Mound Valley Journal, Mound Valley News, Mound Valley Times, Oswego Bee, Oswego Blade, Oswego Courant, Oswego Daily Bee, Oswego Daily Independent, Oswego Daily Republican, Oswego Democrat, Oswego Independent, Oswego Independent-Observer, Oswego News-Blade, Oswego Register, Oswego Republican, Oswego Weekly Blade, Oswego Weekly Republican, Our Home, Parsons Advertiser, Parsons Broadaxe, Parsons Business College Journal, Parsons Daily Eclipse, Parsons Daily Journal, Parsons Daily News, Parsons Daily Republican, Parsons Daily Sun, Parsons Eclipse, Parsons Evening Globe, Parsons Independent, Parsons News, Parsons Palladium, Parsons School Reporter, Parsons Sun, Parsons Sun and Semi Weekly Herald, Parsons Surprise, Parsons Visitor, Parsons Weekly Blade, Parsons Weekly Eclipse, Parsons Weekly Globe, Parsons Weekly Herald, Parsons Weekly Star, Parsons Weekly Sun, Pilot , Railway Employee, School Reporter, Senior Annual, Sentiment, Settler's Guide, South East Kansas Independent Observer, Southern Kansas Advance, State Alliance-Workman, Sun, Times-Journal, Union Blade, United Labor, Weekly Clarion, Western Enterprise, Western World, White Banner, Wilsonton Journal
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
Other Records[edit | edit source]
- 1854 - Kansas Election List, 1854 at Ancestry — ($), Index
- 1854 - 1856 - Kansas Voter Registration Lists, 1854-1856 at Ancestry — ($), Index
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
In most counties in Kansas, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, inventories, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Kansas, Labette and click Probate records.
School Records[edit | edit source]
Social Security Records[edit | edit source]
- 1935-2014 United States Social Security Death Index at FamilySearch - How to use this collection; index. Also at Ancestry, findmypast, Fold3, GenealogyBank, MyHeritage, and Steve Morse. Click here for more information.
- 1936-2007 U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 at Ancestry ($) — index, click here for more information.
Tax Records[edit | edit source]
Kansas tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Kansas Taxation.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Kansas Office of Vital Statistics or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Kansas Vital Records. For information about restrictions and costs for certificates, see the CDC Where to Write for Vital Records site.
Birth[edit | edit source]
- 1818 - 1936 Kansas, Births and Christenings, 1818-1936 at FamilySearch.org - How to Use this Collection; index.
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1800 - 1946 - United States Marriages – Kansas, 1800-1946 at findmypast — ($), Index and images
- 1811 - 1911 - Kansas, Marriages, 1811-1911 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; Index
- 1811 - 1911 - Kansas, County Marriages, 1811-1911 at Ancestry — ($), Index
- 1840 - 1935 - Kansas, Marriages, 1840-1935 at FamilySearch.org - How to Use this Collection; Index
- 1854 - 1861 - KHS Kansas Marriage Index, 1854-1861 at Kansas Historical Society — Index
- 1861 - 1918 - Kansas, Swedish Church Vital Records, 1861-1918 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index
The Labette County Clerk's Office holds the following records:
- Birth records: 1885 to 1896
- Marriage records: 1867 to the present
- Death records: 1885 to 1893
In addition, birth, marriage, divorce and death certificates are held by the State of Kansas Department of Health and Environment, Office of Vital Statistics. Post-1940 records are not public; to obtain copies one must be named on the record, or be an immediate family member, or need the record for legal rights. Pre-1940 records may be requested by an individual related as at least a cousin. Records held by the state are:
- Birth and death certificates: July 1, 1911 to the present
- Marriage licenses: May 1, 1913 to the present
- Divorce certificates: July 1, 1951 to the present
The Kansas Historical Society has the following on microfilm:
- Marriage records: 1867 to 1920
- Marriage register: 1885 to 1896
The WorldCat website has information on holdings of these published and archival materials:
- Early Marriage Records, Labette County, Kansas: 30 October 1867-13 April 1878, 15 May 1880-27 March 1881. Topeka, Kan: Topeka Genealogical Society, 1978.
- Grandle, Margaret, and Susan G. Tillman. Birth Records Labette County, [Kansas], 1885-1892. Pittsburg, Kan: s.n, 1992.
- Labette County Early Births Early Deaths. S.l: s.n, 1900.
- Protestant Episcopal Church, Kansas Parish Registers of Baptisms, Burials, Marriages, Etc: Chetopa, St. Paul's Church, 1889-1960. , 1889.
Death[edit | edit source]
- 1885 - 1930 Kansas, Deaths and Burials, 1885-1930 at FamilySearch.org - How to Use this Collection; index
- 1885 - 1930 Kansas, Deaths and Burials, Index, 1885-1930 at Ancestry.com — index $
Divorce[edit | edit source]
Research Facilities[edit | edit source]
Archives[edit | edit source]
Listed below are archives in Labette County. For state-wide archival repositories, see Kansas Archives and Libraries.
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance, free access to center-only databases, and to premium genealogical websites.
FamilySearch Affiliate Libraries have access to most center-only databases, but may not always have full services normally provided by a family history center.
Local Centers and Libraries
Libraries[edit | edit source]
Listed below are libraries in Labette County. For state-wide library facilities, see Kansas Archives and Libraries.
- Altamont Public Library
407 Huston Ave
Altamont, KS 67330
- Chetopa City Library
Chetopa, KS 67336
- Edna Public Library
105 N Delaware
Edna, KS 67342
- Mound Valley Library
Mound Valley, KS 67354
- Oswego Public Library
704 Fourth Street
Oswego, KS 67356
- Parsons Public Library
311 S 17th Street
Parsons, KS 67357
Museums[edit | edit source]
- Chetopa Historical Museum
- Edna Historical Museum
101 S. Delaware
- Mound Valley Historical Museum
Mound Valley, KS
- Oswego Historical Museum
410 Commercial Street
- Parsons Historical Society Museum
401 South 18th
Parsons, KS 67357
- Parsons Iron Horse Museum
18th and Corning
Parsons, KS 67357
- Southeast Kansas Education Museum
402 Ohio St
Oswego, KS 67356
Societies[edit | edit source]
Listed below are societies in Labette County. For state-wide genealogical societies, see Kansas Societies.
- Labette County Genealogical Society, Inc.
1205 So. 32nd St
Parsons, KS 67357
- Kansas Historical Society
6425 SW 6th Avenue
Topeka, KS 66615-1099
- Mound Valley Historical Society
588 12000 Road
Mound Valley, KS
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Official Labette County, Kansas website
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- Labette County KS Genealogy Research. Contains information for researching genealogy in Labette county KS, Census, bios, obituary, birth, death, marriage, maps, and other records
- FamilySearch Catalog The FamilySearch catalog contains descriptions and access information for all genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) in their collection. Use Historical Records to search for specific individuals in genealogical records
- Labette County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Research Guides[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Labette County, Kansas. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Genealogy Trails History Group, “Labette, Kansas Genealogy and History”, "http://genealogytrails.com/kan/labette/ 8/16/2017."
- Wikipedia contributors, "Labette, Kansas," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labette_County,_Kansas" 8/16/2017.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Labette County, Kansas. Page 252 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- “Kansas Research Outline”, (Salt Lake City, Utah: Family History Department, 2000), 40.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Labette County, Kansas," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labette_County,_Kansas#Communities, accessed 21 September 2017.
- William Thorndale and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses (Bountiful, UT: American Genealogical Lending Library, 1985), page 118-119.
- William Thorndale and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses (Bountiful, UT: American Genealogical Lending Library, 1985), page 119.