Krigsarkivets Historical Maps of Sweden
Another source for historical maps is through the Krigsarkiv (Archive for the Department of War) collections, which can also be found through Riksarkivets homepage at www.riksarkivet.se. After you click on “Krigsarkivet”, look for the link Krigsarkivets kartor och ritningar.
Krigsarkivet was established in 1805. It has records from the 1500's and forward. The archive also has about 35,000 maps from the 1600's to the early 1800's. Many of the maps are associated to Swedish military history, but many are general reference maps. These maps are from all over Sweden and the world.
They also have drawings of soldiers and sailors in uniform. Krigsarkivet is in the process of scanning maps and putting them up on their website. Many of the maps are only available as Översiktbild which is a smaller image file seen online. Others are listed as Detaljbild that was scanned as a bigger file, and can be downloaded as a PDF for free. The main page for Krigsarkivets kartor och ritningar is at: Krigsarkivets kartor och ritningar
How to Search the Krigsarkivet kartsamlingar[edit | edit source]
1. Go to http://sok.riksarkivet.se/krigsarkivets-kartsamlingar (using Firefox - Mar. 2016)
2. The next step is to type a place name into the Fritext field.
3. Click on the drop down menu for Arkiv and choose the appropriate collection.
- Alla arkiv (all collections)
- Sveriges topigrafiska kartor (Topographical maps of Sweden)
- Utländska kartor (Maps of other countries)
- Utländska stads- och fästningsplaner (Maps of cities and fortresses in other countries)
4. Click Sök
5. You should see a hits list. Choose the map that yourOffert (to place an order) or Bild to see a digital copy of the map.
6. Use the viewer tools to zoom in / out or move around the digital map.
References[edit | edit source]
Ångström, Karl-Ingvar and Johansson, Björn, Kart-forskning Sverige Släktforskarförbunds Handböcker 3, Svärd & Söner, Falköping, 2011