Kentucky Deaths - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Kentucky Deaths, 1911-1965
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Kentucky|
|Location of Kentucky|
|Record Type||Death Records|
|Office of Vital Statistics, Frankfort|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The collection consists of an index and images of state death certificates located at the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in Frankfort, Kentucky. Certificates are arranged first by year, then by month, then alphabetically by county. They have continuous certificate numbers for each year. Each month or certificates between months may have certificates for earlier months/years and certificates may also be for older deaths.The year date in the last column of the index indicates with which year the certificate is found. The collection covers the years 1911 to 1965.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of the deceased
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Marital status
- Age at death
- Date of death
- Time of death
- Place of death
- Address of the deceased
- Parents’ names
- Places of birth of the parents
- Date of burial
- Place of burial
- Cause of death
- Name and address of the informant
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Image[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching the collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The approximate year of death
- The place where your ancestor died
- The names of family members and their relationships
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Kentucky Death Records, 1911-1955. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
When you have located your ancestor’s death record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the information to search for the family in census records
- Use information to search for church records
- Use the information to search for obituaries
- Continue to search the index to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have died in the same place or nearby
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names
- Search the indexes and records of nearby localities
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Kentucky.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
To access available information, first log into FamilySearch.