|Kansas Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Overview[edit | edit source]
A periodical is a regularly published magazine, newsletter, or journal. Several valuable periodicals concerning Kansas genealogical research exist. Many genealogical and historical societies publish magazines and newsletters. The articles in these periodicals often include the following:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees
- Helpful articles on research methodology
- Transcripts or indexes of biographical sketches, censuses, church records, migration lists, military records, obituaries, wills, vital records, and more
- Historical background
- Current and historical maps
- Information about local and national records, archives, and services
- Interesting articles about social life and customs
- Book advertisements and book reviews
- Advertisements of professional researchers
- Queries or requests for information about specific ancestors that can help you contact other interested researchers
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
The major genealogical periodicals and magazines helpful for Kansas research are:
- The Ark Valley Crossroads 1987-.Published by the Wichita Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 3705, Wichita, KS 67201-3705. www.wichitagensoc.org FHL Collection.
- The Descender 1968-. Published by the Montgomery County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 444, Coffeyville, KS 67337. FHL book 978.193 B2g; vols. 1-3 on film 896537 item 6.
- The Heritage Genealogical Society Quarterly 1971-. Published by the Heritage Genealogical Society, Wilson Co., Kansas, W.A. Rankin Memorial Library, 502 Indiana, Neodesha, KS 66757, Telephone: 316-325-3275, Fax: 316-325-3275. FHL book 978.1925 B2h.
- Kansas Kin 1963-. Published by the Riley County Kansas Genealogical Society, 2005 Claflin Rd., Manhattan, Kansas 66502-3415, Telephone: 913-565-6495. FHL book 978.128 B2g; vols. 1-6 on film 874078 items 2-7.
- Midwest Historical and Genealogical Register 1968-. Published by the Midwest Historical and Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1121, Wichita, KS 67201, Telephone: 316-264-3611. FHL book 973 B2mg.
- The Pioneer 1977-. Published by the Douglas County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 3664, Lawrence, KS 66044-0664. FHL book 978.165 H25p.
- The Seeker 1971-. Published by the Crawford County Genealogical Society of Southeast Kansas, Pittsburg Library, 211 W. 4th St., Pittsburg, KS 66762. FHL book 978.198 D25s; vols. 1-5, 8, pt. 4, 9-11, 12-15 on fiche 6048131.
- The Treesearcher 1959-. Published by the Kansas Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 103, Dodge City, Kansas 67801-0103. FHL book 978.1 B2t.
Obtaining Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Copies of periodicals are available from the local societies that publish them. Major archives with genealogical collections will have copies of many periodicals, particularly those representing the area they serve. The Periodical Source Index, or PERSI, is the largest subject index to genealogy and local history periodical articles in the world. PERSI is available online and is especially useful because it refers to countless items published in thousands of family history periodicals worldwide. Learn more at the PERSI wiki page here:
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI). Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987-. (Family History Library book 973 D25per; 40 fiche 6016863 (1847-1985); 15 fiche 6016864 (1986-1990).) Partially indexes over 5,000 English-language and French-Canadian family history periodicals. The microfiche indexes are cumulative; book indexes since 1986 are year-by-year. For further details see the PERiodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119).
- Find My Past Researchers can use the Internet edition of this index at Family History Centers via their site.
Once you locate an article in a periodical, check the FamilySearch Catalog and regional or local libraries for available copies. The Family History Library has collected many periodicals, with some available in digital format and accessible online. Kansas periodicals may be found in the FamilySearch Catalog with a Place and Subject search, as found here: Kansas-Periodicals. They can also be found by using:
- Place Search of the country, state/province, and county
- Title Search of the periodical
- Keyword Search for the publishing society name.
Also find Periodical resources available at other libraries via WorldCat. As with the FamilySearch Catalog search, search WorldCat using society names, locality names, and periodical title names. Learn more about how to search WorldCat and the Introduction to the FamilySearch Catalog on our Wiki pages.