Jicarilla Apache Nation, New Mexico
Guide to Jicarilla Apache Nation, New Mexico ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Tribal Headquarters[edit | edit source]
Jicarilla Apache Nation
P.O. Box 507
Dulce, NM 87528-0507
- Jicarilla Apache Nation Official Website
History[edit | edit source]
Brief Timeline[edit | edit source]
1801: The Llaneros band joins the Jicarilla
1841: Mexican land grand deprives the Jicarilla of their land
1854: Conflicts with the U.S. military
1883: Land taken by U.S.
1887: Jicarilla Reservation is established
1907: Jicarilla Reservation enlarged
1900s: Tuberculosis epidemic killed one-fourth of the Jicarilla
Additional References to the History of the Tribe[edit | edit source]
Frederick Webb Hodge, in his Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico, gave a more complete history of the Jicarilla Apache tribe, with estimations of the population of the tribe at various time periods.
Reservations[edit | edit source]
This tribe is primarily associated with the Jicarilla Apache Reservation in New Mexico, and the New Mexico Superintnedency
See also: Apache Indians
Agencies[edit | edit source]
Records[edit | edit source]
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
See Jicarilla Indian Agency for records
Records Available through the Family History Library[edit | edit source]
- Census 1900-1939 FHL films 576885-576887
- Vital Records - Census supplement 1924-1929 FHL film 576887
Important Websites[edit | edit source]
- Constitution and By-Laws of the Jicarilla Apache Tribe of the Jicarilla Apache Indian Reservation New Mexico
- Jicarilla Apache Nation Official Website
- Jicarilla Apache Tribe Wikipedia
References[edit | edit source]
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives; Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1906 Available online.
- Klein, Barry T., ed. Reference Encyclopedia of the American Indian. Nyack, New York: Todd Publications, 2009. 10th ed. WorldCat 317923332; FHL book 970.1 R259e.
- Malinowski, Sharon and Sheets, Anna, eds. The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. Detroit: Gale Publishing, 1998. 4 volumes. Includes: Lists of Federally Recognized Tribes for U.S., Alaska, and Canada – pp. 513-529 Alphabetical Listing of Tribes, with reference to volume and page in this series Map of “Historic Locations of U.S. Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Canadian Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Mexican, Hawaiian and Caribbean Native Groups” Maps of “State and Federally Recognized U.S. Indian Reservations. WorldCat 37475188; FHL book 970.1 G131g.
- Vol. 1 -- Northeast, Southeast, Caribbean
- Vol. 2 -- Great Basin, Southwest, Middle America
- Vol. 3 -- Arctic, Subarctic, Great Plains, Plateau
- Vol. 4 -- California, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Islands
- Sturtevant, William C. Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols., some not yet published. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978– .
- Volume 1 -- Not yet published
- Volume 2 -- Indians in Contemporary Society (pub. 2008) -- WorldCat 234303751
- Volume 3 -- Environment, Origins, and Population (pub. 2006) -- WorldCat 255572371
- Volume 4 -- History of Indian-White Relations (pub. 1988) -- WorldCat 19331914; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.4.
- Volume 5 -- Arctic (pub. 1984) -- WorldCat 299653808; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.5.
- Volume 6 -- Subarctic (pub. 1981) -- WorldCat 247493742; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.6.
- Volume 7 -- Northwest Coast (pub. 1990) -- WorldCat 247493311
- Volume 8 -- California (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 13240086; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.8.
- Volume 9 -- Southwest (pub. 1979) -- WorldCat 26140053; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.9.
- Volume 10 -- Southwest (pub. 1983) -- WorldCat 301504096; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.10.
- Volume 11 -- Great Basin (pub. 1986) -- WorldCat 256516416; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.11.
- Volume 12 -- Plateau (pub. 1998) -- WorldCat 39401371; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.12.
- Volume 13 -- Plains, 2 vols. (pub. 2001) -- WorldCat 48209643
- Volume 14 -- Southeast (pub. 2004) -- WorldCat 254277176
- Volume 15 -- Northwest (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 356517503; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.15.
- Volume 16 -- Not yet published
- Volume 17 -- Languages (pub. 1996) -- WorldCat 43957746
- Volume 18 -- Not yet published
- Volume 19 -- Not yet published
- Volume 20 -- Not yet published