Italy, Catania, Arcidiocesi di Catania, Catholic Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Italy, Catania, Arcidiocesi di Catania, Catholic Church Records, 1515-1941
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Italian Republic|
|Flag of Catania Province|
|Location of Catania, Italy|
|Location of Italy|
|Title in the Language:||Italia, Catania, Arcidiocesi di Catania, Registri Parrocchiali, 1515-1941|
|Archivio dell'Arcidiocesi di Catania|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 Collection Content
- 3 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 4 What Do I Do Next?
- 5 Known Issues
- 6 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The collection consists of images of baptisms, marriages, and deaths from the Archdiocese of Catania (Arcidiocesi di Catania), Catania, Italy. Also includes confirmations (cresime); church censuses (status animarum, stato delle anime); marriage banns (pubblicazioni); marriage contracts (contratti di matrimonio); marriage supplemental documents (allegati di matrimonio); and priesthood ordinations (ordinazioni sacerdotali). Availability of records is largely dependent on time period and locality. Additional images will be added as they become available. The collection generally covers the years 1515 to 1941.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
These records are in Italian. For help reading them see:
- Italy Language and Languages
- Italian Genealogical Word List
- Script Tutorial for Italian
- Italy Handwriting
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Italy, Catania, Arcidiocesi di Catania, Catholic Church Records, 1515-1941.|
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
For details about the contents of these records, their history, and help using them see the wiki article: Italy Catholic Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]
|This collection does not have a searchable index. Only images are available. See View the Images to access them.|
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Comune or Frazione (Municipality or Fraction)
- Select Parish
- Select Record Type to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog Italy, Catania, Arcidiocesi di Catania, Catholic Church Records, 1515-1941. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Check the image the index was taken from to see if there is additional information
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each spouse to find a couple's birth records and parents' names
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname as the bride or groom; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
- Use the parents' birth places to find former residences and to establish a migration pattern for the family
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, Now What?[edit | edit source]
- A boundary change could have occurred, and the record of your ancestor is now in a neighboring area. Search the records and indexes of neighboring cities, provinces, and regions
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Italy.
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.