Ireland Civil Registration Indexes - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Ireland Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|St. Patrick's Saltire (1783-1801)|
|Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland (1801-1922); Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland (1922-present)|
|Flag of the Republic of Ireland (1922-present)|
|Location of Ireland|
|Record Type||Civil Registration Indexes|
|General Registry, Custom House, Dublin|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Civil registration indexes were created for most of Ireland as a common-name repository for records of births, marriages, and deaths between the years of 1864 and 1958.
Civil registration indexes provide the easiest access to civil registration records. Rather than searching district by district (where names are not in alphabetical order), you can look at a name index.
From 1922 onward, this index excludes all records for Northern Ireland after the formation of that territory.
Between the years of 1845 and 1877, the indexes are annual, arranged alphabetically by family names.
Between the years of 1878 and 1921, the indexes are quarterly (4 per year).
For 1897, there are many marriage records missing.
This collection is considered a national index.
There are Northern Ireland records kept by the General Register Office in Dublin, Ireland. See the external link on the bottom right of this page.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
Coverage Table[edit | edit source]
To see which counties are included in the collection, the type of record, and the years covered see: Coverage Table for Ireland Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person you are looking for
- The approximate date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the archive information in the index to search for the original record
- If a birth date is found, look for the individual in census records as a child
- If a marriage record is found, continue to search in census records for the new family
- If a death record is found, estimate the birth year and look for other vital records
- Use all the information obtained to search in church records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names
- Transcription errors could occur in any handwritten record
- It was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name
- Vary the search terms. For example, search by either the given name or surname to return broader list of possible candidates which can then be examined for matches
- Search the records of nearby locations
- Look at the actual image of the record to verify the information found in the online description, if possible
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Ireland.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.