Guide to Ireland ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
|Ireland Wiki Topics|
|Historic Ireland (pre-1922)|
|Northern Ireland (post-1922)|
|Ireland Research Resources|
Country Information[edit | edit source]
Today the island of Ireland is divided into two countries: (1) the Republic of Ireland, also known as Éire and (2) Northern Ireland, one of the four constituent countries of the United Kingdom (together with England, Scotland, and Wales). Prior to 1922 the island of Ireland was one country. The language most widely spoken is English.
Getting Started[edit | edit source]
Getting Started with Ireland Research
Links to articles on getting started with Ireland research.
Ireland Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Ireland research.
Ireland Clickable Map[edit | edit source]
The map below shows the whole of Ireland. The six counties of Northern Ireland are divided from the rest by a heavy black line.
Counties[edit | edit source]
Click on a county to locate more information about resources in that county.
Northern Ireland Counties (Post-1922)
FamilySearch Resources[edit | edit source]
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in researching your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Historical Records
- Family History Center locator map
Research Tutorials[edit | edit source]
Note: Microsoft browser may be required for viewing tutorials.
- Getting Started in Irish Genealogy
- Ireland Emigration
- Irish Emigration to North America: Before, During, and After the Famine - Parts 1 and 2
- Ireland Beginning Research Series
- Immigration Part 1: Strategies
- Immigration Part 2: Famine and Post Famine Sources
- Immigration Part 3: Ulster and Scots Irish Sources
- Church Records
- Civil Registration
- Ireland Civil Registration
- Finding Ancestry in Ireland Civil Registration Records
- Ireland Presbyterian Church Records
- Ireland Catholic Church Records - Parts 1 and 2
- Irish Protestant Church Records
- More Irish than the Irish Themselves: The Hiberno-Norman Families - Parts 1 and 2
- The Scots-irish: Plantation and Settlement of Ulster in the 17th Century
- British Resources on FamilySearch.org - Parts 1 and 2
- British Resources on Findmypast
- Tracing Irish Roman Catholic Ancestry
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Ireland," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland, accessed 24 March 2016.