Iowa Church Records
|Iowa Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
|Local Research Resources|
- 1 Church Records and Archives
- 2 Baptist
- 3 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons)
- 4 Episcopal Church
- 5 Lutheran
- 6 Methodist
- 7 Presbyterian
- 8 The Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- 9 Roman Catholic
- 10 Society of Friends (Quaker)
- 11 Family History Library
- 12 Websites
- 13 Sources and Footnotes
Church Records and Archives[edit | edit source]
Church records have been kept in Iowa since the 1830s. Information from church records varies greatly, depending upon the denomination and the record keeper. Records may contain such information about members of the congregation as age, dates of baptism, christening, or birth, marriage information, wife’s maiden name, and death dates. Records may include names of other relatives who were witnesses at church events or members of the congregation. The members of some churches were predominately of one nationality or ethnic group. Knowing this may help you find the foreign town from which your ancestors immigrated.
Before 1900 the largest religious groups were the Roman Catholic, Methodist, Presbyterian, Lutheran churches along with The Society of Friends (Quakers) and other small groups were also early settlers. 
Protestant church records are a prime source for identifying the German hometowns and villages of American immigrants:
- German Immigrants in Western Iowa Protestant Church Records
- German Immigrants in NE Iowa Protestant Church Records
Baptist[edit | edit source]
North American Baptist Conference
1 South 210 Summit Avenue
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
Phone: (630) 495-2000
Fax: (630) 495-0333
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons)[edit | edit source]
Early church records, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for Iowa Wards and Branches can be found on film and are located at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City. The film numbers, for each ward, can be locate through the FamilySearch Catalog. Or by referring to Register of Genealogical Society Call Numbers.  These volumes contain the film numbers for many (but not all) membership and temple record films.
Episcopal Church[edit | edit source]
Trinity Episcopal Church, Muscatine IA, has Parish Baptism Records online.
Lutheran[edit | edit source]
Wartburg Theological Seminary
333 Wartburg Place
Dubuque, IA 52001
Phone: (563) 589-0200 Fax: (563) 589-0333
The Wartburg Theological Seminary has Lutheran records from Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, and upper Michigan. Many of the records in this repository can be borrowed for a small fee. For a list of some of the records, see:
- ALC Congregations on Microfilm. The list is alphabetical by state and then by city.
- American Lutheran Church Shelf List Index to Their Church Records 
- St. Peter's Lutheran Church, Montpelier Twp, has Baptism and Death records online.
Methodist[edit | edit source]
Iowa Wesleyan College Library
Mt. Pleasant, IA 52641
Phone: (319) 385-6317
Fax: (319) 385-6324
You can find two of the library’s collections in:
- Iowa Churches: A File at the Iowa Wesleyan College in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa This file consists of church histories, anniversary programs, and newspaper clippings. It is arranged by towns or by the name of the church.
- Ministerial Biographies: A File in the Iowa Wesleyan College in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa These films contain biographies, mainly of Methodist ministers.
Presbyterian[edit | edit source]
The Presbyterian Historical Society
425 Lombard Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147
Phone: (215) 627-1852
Fax: (215) 627-0509
Many of the biographies and church records of this society have been microfilmed. The society and the Family History Library are continuing to collect Iowa Presbyterian church records.
The Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints[edit | edit source]
The Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
P.O. Box 1059
Independence, MO 64051
Phone: (816) 833-1000
Fax: (816) 521-3089
Records of most Iowa congregations of this church have been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Library.
Roman Catholic[edit | edit source]
Diocese of Davenport
2706 N. Gaines Street
Davenport, IA 52804
Phone: (563) 324-1911
Fax: (563) 324-5842
The diocese includes the counties of: Appanoose, Cedar, Clinton, Davis, Des Moines, Henry, Iowa, Jasper, Jefferson, Johnson, Keokuk, Lee, Louisa, Mahaska, Marion, Monroe, Muscatine, Poweshiek, Scott, Van Buren, Wapello and Washington
Diocese of Sioux City
1821 Jackson Street
Sioux City, IA 51105
Phone: (712) 255-7933
Fax: (712) 233-7598
The diocese includes the counties of: Boone, Buena Vista, Calhoun, Carroll, Cherokee, Clay, Crawford, Dickinson, Emmet, Greene, Humboldt, Ida, Kossuth, Lyon, Monona, O'Brien, Osceola, Palo Alto, Plymouth, Pocahontas, Sac, Sioux, Webster, and Woodbury
Diocese of Des Moines
610 Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50309
Phone: (515) 243-7653
Fax: (515) 237-5070
The diocese includes the counties of: Adair, Adams, Audubon, Cass, Clarke, Dallas, Decatur, Fremont, Guthrie, Harrison, Lucas, Madison, Mills, Montgomery, Page, Polk, Pottawattamie, Ringgold, Shelby, Taylor, Union, Warren and Wayne
Archdiocese of Dubuque
1229 Mt Loretta Ave.
Dubuque, IA 52004-0479
Phone: (563) 556-2580
The diocese includes the counties of: Allamakee, Benton, Black Hawk, Bremer, Buchanan, Butler, Cerro Gordo, Chickasaw, Clayton, Delaware, Dubuque, Fayette, Floyd, Franklin, Grundy, Hamilton, Hancock, Hardin, Howard, Jackson, Jones, Linn, Marshall, Mitchell, Story, Tama, Winnebago, Winneshiek, Worth, and Wright
Society of Friends (Quaker)[edit | edit source]
Friends Historical Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Phone: (610) 328-8496
Fax: (610) 328-7329
Haverford, PA 19041-1392
Phone: (610) 896-1161
Fax: (610) 896-1102
Two collections of the Iowa Society of Friends records are:
- Index to Iowa Quaker Meeting Records 
- The William Wade Hinshaw Index to Quaker Meeting Records in the Friends Library in Swarthmore College, Pennsylvania. has an index to surnames and indicates in which monthly meetings those surnames are found. These microfilms contain records of many Iowa monthly meetings.
Websites for Quaker Genealogy Helps:
- American Friend Obituary Index
- Friends Historical Library
- The Quaker Corner
- The Quaker Research Guide
Iowa Published Church Records[edit | edit source]
Periodicals have published records of many Iowa churches. These are referenced in the PERiodical Source Index (PERSI) described in the "Periodicals" page. Many denominations have collected and stored their records in central repositories. You can write to the following addresses to learn where their records are located:
Family History Library[edit | edit source]
The Family History Library has: While the majority of church records remain with the local churches, the Family History Library, and Iowa Historical Society Library, have copies of local records from some churches. See A Guide to Manuscripts at the Iowa Historical Society, described in Iowa Archives and Libraries.
Many of the local church records available at theFamilySearch Catalog have been microfilmed at various archives and libraries.
Use the Keyword Search feature on catalog drop down menu of the FamilySearch Catalog to find more records under:
- IOWA, [COUNTY], [TOWN] - CHURCH RECORDS
While no listing of Family History Library films by repository is available, the FamilySearch Catalog identifies when and where each record was microfilmed. Example: Family History Library List of Iowa Churches
- Records of churches, including Catholic, Presbyterian and the Society of Friends (see the FamilySearch Catalog).
- Histories of denominations in Iowa, including Mennonite, Congregational, Quaker, Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran, Presbyterian, and Methodist-Episcopal.
A useful list of books and articles about the various religious groups of Iowa is found on pages 116–125 in:
- Iowa History Reference Guide. Iowa City, Iowa: State Historical Society of Iowa, 1952.This bibliography includes sections about American Indians, immigration, land, government, courts, military, schools, churches, businesses, history, and biographies. It is arranged by subject and has an index.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Various websites identify churches in Iowa:
Sources and Footnotes[edit | edit source]
- Iowa Religions
- Iowa History Standards and Benchmarks
- Brief History of Iowa Yearly Meeting of Friends
- Jaussi, Laureen R., and Gloria D. Chaston. Register of Genealogical Society Call Numbers. 2 vols. Provo, Utah: Genealogy Tree, 1982. (FHL book 979.2258 A3j; fiche 6031507).
- ALC Archives. ALC Congregations on Microfilm. Dubuque, Iowa: The Archives, [197-?]. FHL Collection 6330690–93. Fiche 6330690 has records from Iowa.
- American Lutheran Church Shelf List Index to Their Church Records Microfilmed as of 1987. N. p., 1988. FHL Collection 973 K2aL.
- Iowa Churches: A File at the Iowa Wesleyan College in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1975. FHL Collection films 956387–417.
- Ministerial Biographies: A File in the Iowa Wesleyan College in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1975. FHL Collection films 956418–42.
- Hinshaw, William Wade. Index to Iowa Quaker Meeting Records. 11 vols. N.p., 19--? FHL Collection book 977.7 K28h; films 924025–27; fiche 6051154.
- Hinshaw, William Wade. The William Wade Hinshaw Index to Quaker Meeting Records in the Friends Library in Swarthmore College, Pennsylvania. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1957. FHL Collection films 002146–213, and 175409–13 and FHL Collection film 002148.
- William John. Iowa History Reference Guide. Iowa City, Iowa: State Historical Society of Iowa, 1952. FHL Collection 977.7 A3p.