Important Books and Internet Sources About Cemeteries in Malaysia and Singapore
Alan Harfield Series of Books—Alan Harfield, in the 1980s, performed a great service by compiling and printing up several books having to do with the Christian Cemeteries in both Singapore and Malaysia. They are listed below:
1. The Christian Cemeteries of Penang and Perak, 1987, available in the Singapore National Library and the Family History Library in Salt Lake City
2. Early Cemeteries of Singapore, published by the British Association for Cemeteries in South Asia, 1988, and available in the Singapore National Library and the Family History Library in Salt Lake City
3. Christian Cemeteries and Memorials in Malacca, 1984, available also at the Singapore National Library and the Family History Library in Salt Lake City
Additional Books of Cemetery Listings—
1. The War Dead of the British Commonwealth and Empire: Taiping War Cemetery and Other Cemeteries in Malaya and China, published in London by Order of the Imperial War Graves Commission, 1959 - This book may rarely be found in a niche in the Christian wall of the War Memorial Cemetery in Taiping.
2. Eurasians Buried in the Western Road Christian Cemetery—The pages of this book may be photographed at the World Heritage Center in Penang, Malaysia, and are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah.
3. An Introduction to Christ Church Malacca, published by the Malacca Historical Society, and available for purchase at Christ Church, in Melaka, Malaysia. This book lists the wall plaques and memorials contained in this venerable old Dutch church of 1753. This pamphlet can be found in the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.
4. Select List of Private Cemeteries in Penang by Mr. Teoh Shiaw Kuan, presently only available in Chinese, published by the author, who works at the Chin Kang Hoay Kuan Kongsi, in Penang, Malaysia. This book can be found in the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.
Other Cemetery Listings on the Internet—
1. Martin Edwards in 2009, in association with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission began the project of compiling at www.roll-of-honour.com, a series of war-related listings for cemeteries in Malaysia. He is in the process of identifying and compiling a list for the Perak War of 1876-1877; the soldiers of WWI 1914-1918, who are memorialized at St. John’s Church, in Ipoh, Malaysia; and those who died during the Indonesian Confrontation, 1962-1965, the Re-Insurgency Period, 1972-1999, and those who died during WWII, 1939-1945. E-mail for this site is email@example.com.
2. Chris Nelson (#46617359), who lives in Taiwan, has posted his photographs of several cemeteries in Malaysia at the website [www.findagrave.com Find a Grave}. For example, those cemeteries in Penang, Malaysia, in which he has photographed some or all of the gravestones are (1) The Old Protestant Cemetery and its adjacent Roman Catholic Cemetery; (2) The Jewish Cemetery; (3) The Western Road Cemetery; and (4) one memorial for St. George’s Anglican Church. He has photographed and uploaded images from Kuala Lumpur, Ipoh, and other places in Malaysia as well.
Submitted November 1, 2013