Illinois Archdiocese of Chicago Cemetery Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Illinois Archdiocese of Chicago, Cemetery Records, 1864-1989
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Chicago, Cook, Illinois, |
|Flag of Illinois|
|Location of Illinois|
|Archdiocese of Chicago|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains Catholic cemetery records which begin as early as 1864 and go through 1989.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of deceased
- Death date
- Burial dates and places
- Cause of death
- Birth year
- Names of children
- Mortuary or undertaker
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Image[edit | edit source]
Digital Folder Number List[edit | edit source]This collection was published as a DGS browse collection. The list does not contain any description of the DGS folder's content. A table listing each DGS number and its contents can be found at Illinois, Archdiocese of Chicago Cemetery Records Digital Folder Number List.
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The approximate burial or death date
- The cemetery where your ancestor was buried
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]To view images in this collection:
- Look at the Illinois, Archdiocese of Chicago Cemetery Records Digital Folder Number List article to determine the folder/film number for the images you want to see
- Go to the Browse Page
- Select the Film number to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Illinois, Archdiocese of Chicago, Cemetery Records, 1864-1989. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
When you have located your ancestor’s cemetery record, carefully evaluate each piece of information about them. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the birth date or year to search for birth records
- Use the birth date along with relative’s names to find the family in census records
- Search for the death record
- Search for an obituary
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames
- Search the indexes and records of nearby cemeteries
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Illinois.
- Sexton Records
- Illinois Guided Research
- Illinois Record Finder
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research
Related Family History Library History[edit | edit source]
- St. Benedict Cemetery. Interment cards, 1885-1989
- St. Henry Cemetery. Interment records, 1864-1987
- St. Boniface Cemetery. Interment records, 1864-1987
- St. Casimir Lithuanian Cemetery. Interment records, ca. 1903-1988
- Mount Olivet Cemetery. Interment records, ca. 1931-1988
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
Citing this Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.