Hubbard County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to Hubbard County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Hubbard County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||February 26, 1883|
|County Seat||Park Rapids|
|Address||Hubbard County Courthouse|
301 Court Street
Park Rapids, MN 56470
Hubbard County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Cemeteries
- 5.2 Census
- 5.3 Church
- 5.4 Court
- 5.5 Emigration and Immigration
- 5.6 Land
- 5.7 Local Histories
- 5.8 Maps
- 5.9 Military
- 5.10 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.11 Newspapers
- 5.12 Obituaries
- 5.13 Probate
- 5.14 Taxation
- 5.15 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
County Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The County was named for Lucius Frederick Hubbard, ninth Governor of Minnesota. The County is located in the north central area of the state. 
Hubbard County, Minnesota Record Dates[edit | edit source]
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
County Recorder has birth, death and land records.
License Center has marriage records.
Clerk District Court has divorce, probate and court records. 
History[edit | edit source]
Parent County[edit | edit source]
- 1883--Hubbard County was created 26 February 1883 from Cass County. County seat: Park Rapids 
- For a brief history of how Hubbard County was named, click here, then select Hubbard County.
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
No records destroyed, though county courthouse was destroyed by fire about 1890.
Places/Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
Cities[edit | edit source]
Townships[edit | edit source]
Akeley Township | Arago Township | Badoura Township | Clay Township | Clover Township | Crow Wing Lake Township | Farden Township | Fern Township | Guthrie Township | Hart Lake Township | Helga Township |Hendrickson Township | Henrietta Township | Hubbard Township | Lake Alice Township | Lake Emma Township | Lake George Township | Lake Hattie Township | Lakeport Township | Mantrap Township | Nevis Township | Rockwood Township | Schoolcraft Township | Steamboat River Township | Straight River Township | Thorpe Township | Todd Township | White Oak Township
Neighboring Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|MNGenWeb Archives||WorldCat||Billion Graves|
|See Minnesota Cemeteries for more information.|
Census[edit | edit source]
- 1865 - Minnesota State Census, 1865 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1885 - Minnesota State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Minnesota State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
Church[edit | edit source]
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
Court[edit | edit source]
Emigration and Immigration[edit | edit source]
Land[edit | edit source]
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Hubbars – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Hubbard County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
Maps[edit | edit source]
- Family Maps of Hubbard County, Minnesota Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Military[edit | edit source]
World War II[edit | edit source]
- 1940-1945 - Minnesota, World War II Draft Registration Cards,1940-1947 at FamilySearch — index and images
Naturalization and Citizenship[edit | edit source]
- 1872-1962 - Minnesota Naturalization Records and Indexes, 1872-1962 at FamilySearch — index
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Hubbard County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
Probate[edit | edit source]
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Online Probate Records
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Birth[edit | edit source]
Marriage[edit | edit source]
Death[edit | edit source]
- 1850-2001 - Minnesota, County Deaths, 1850-2001 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1887-2001 - Minnesota Deaths, 1887-2001 at FamilySearch — index and images
Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
Hubbard County Historical Society
PO Box 327
Park Rapids 56470
Paul Bunyan Historical Society
PO Box 118 (Mailing)
Akeley, MN 56433
North Central Minnesota Historical Center
The A. C. Clark Library
1500 Birchmont Dr. NE #28
Bemidji, MN 56601-2699
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- For current information about a center near you, go to the Family History Center Map
- Introduction to Family History Centers
FamilySearch Affiliate Libraries[edit | edit source]Park Rapids Minnesota Library
210 W 1st Street
Park Rapids, MN 56470
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Hubbard County, Minnesota" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubbard_County,_Minnesota accessed 13 Nov 2018
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hubbard County, Minnesota. Page 362-370 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 362-365.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hubbard County, Minnesota page 364, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
To access available information, first log into FamilySearch.