Hedmark County, Norway Genealogy
|Norway Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Hedmark ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Hedmark is a county in Norway, bordering Sør-Trøndelag, Oppland and Akershus. The county administration is in Hamar.
Hedmark makes up the northeastern part of Østlandet, the southeastern part of the country. It includes a long part of the borderline with Sweden, Dalarna County and Värmland County. Geographically, Hedmark is in the traditional sense divided in the following areas: Hedemarken, east of Mjøsa, Østerdalen, north of Elverum, and Glåmdalen, south of Elverum. Hedmark and Oppland are the only Norwegian counties with no coastline. Hedmark also hosted some of the 1994 Winter Olympic Games.
Hedmark is one of the less urbanized areas in Norway, as about half of the inhabitants live on rural land. Population is mainly concentrated in the rich agricultural district adjoining Mjøsa to the southeast. The county's extensive forests supply much of Norway's timber. Logs were previously floated down Glomma to the coast but are now transported by truck and train.
Family History Resources[edit | edit source]
Government Offices and Sites[edit | edit source]
Cities, Parishes and Clerical Districts in Hedmark County[edit | edit source]
- Austmarka (Østmark)
- Drevsjø (Drevsjøhytte)
- Os (Dalsbygda)
- Stavsjø (Ballishol)
- Stor Elvdal
- Sør Osen
- Vallset (Tomter)
- Ytre Rendal
- Øvre Engerdal
- Øvre Rendal
- Odalen Branch (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1857-1873)
- Trysil Frimenighet, (1859-1891)
Church Records/Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
- These are the most important records you will use, and a majority of your research will be found in them. All civil registration was kept by the church parishes until 2012.
- Digitalarkivet: Digitized parish registers of Hedmark
- The Family History Library has microfilms for all Hedmark parish registers up to about 1920. These can be viewed at the library or at a Family Histor Center near you.
- By clicking on the parish links above, you may find direct links to all the records for that parish.
- You do not have to be fluent in Norwegian. These records use a very limited, specialized vocabulary that is easy to learn. For help reading and interpreting theses records, see:
- Parish Register Headings for Norway: This pdf gives the translation of headings for the records in different time periods. When a record is written with labeled columns it is much easier to search. Much of the material you read in each column will just be names and dates, since the meaning of those names (child, parents, godparents, minister) only has to be read once, in the column heading.
- For more detail on the contents of these records and how to use them, see Norway Church Records and Norway Civil Registration.
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
Censuses[edit | edit source]
- Hedmark prosti, Prestemanntall 5, 1664 - 1666 (priest's) scanned
- 1664-1666 Census for Solør, Østerdal og Odal fogderi (Bailiff's)scanned
- 1801 Census
- 1865 Census; also at FamilySearch
- 1875 Census
- Norway Census, 1875 FamilySearch database
- 1885 Census (cities only)
- 1891 Census partial index, full scan
- 1900 Census
- 1910 Census full index, not scanned
- Kommunal folketelling 1920 for 0401 Hamar kjøpstad
Farm Books[edit | edit source]
Land Records[edit | edit source]
1886 and 1838 land registers are found at The Norwegian Historical Data Centre. These are Excel files, which can be downloaded. The give the name of the farm, the farm owner, and the amount of tax. Both farms and sub-farms are included.
Military Records [edit | edit source]
- Stamrullen for Østerdalske kompani
- Militærrulle 1758 for 1. Sønnenfjelske Dragonregiment, grensevakter ved Holstein
- 1761 for Dragonkorpset, 1. eskadron til Holstein
Passenger Lists[edit | edit source]
- Passport records for Solør and Odalen fogderi 1843-1857 and Solør fogderi 1857-1887
- Passport records for Østerdalen fogderi 1844-1859 and Søndre Østerdalen fogderi 1859-1900
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
- Digitized probate records for Hedmark County
- 1640-1903 - Norway, Probate Index Cards, 1640-1903 at FamilySearch — index
- 1695-1777 - Probate register for Clerical Probate protocol of Hedmark and Østerdalen 1695-1777
- 1695-1777 - Østerdalen prosti, probate records no. 1, 1696-1779
Probate Jurisdictions[edit | edit source]
- Solør og Østerdal
- Solør og Odal
- Hedemarken og Østerdalen Deanery
- Østerdalen Deanery
- Hedemarken Deanery
Taxation[edit | edit source]