Hayward (Wisconsin) Indian School
|Native American Topics|
|Bureau of Indian Affairs|
History[edit | edit source]
Hayward Indian School in Wisconsin was built in 1901. The school closed in 1934. At its height, it had fewer than 200 students. It was converted to the Hayward Area Memorial Hospital. At least two other day schools operated near Hayward -- one at the Lac Court d'Oreilles Reservation and one at Paquahawong (20 miles from Hayward).
Records[edit | edit source]
The major portion of the administrative records of Hayward are deposited at the Great Lakes Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) at Chicago. This collection includes the standard administrative records such as reports, correspondence, financial records, etc., but no student case files are included in the inventory of the records there. Chippewa census rolls for 1914-1917 are included in the collection.
Microfilm copies of ...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Hayward School, 1908-1933, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, Roll 63, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City (their microfilm number 1724281).
Hayward Reservation and School 1916-1926, 1928-33 (FHL Film 576868-576870)
References[edit | edit source]
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.
Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives of the United States
Wisconsin Historical Society.Dictionary of Wisconsin History.