Hawaii, Various Islands, Circuit Court Divorce Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Hawaii, Various Islands, Circuit Court Divorce Records, 1849-1915
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Hawaii|
|Location of Hawaii|
|Hawaii State Archives, Honolulu|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection includes divorce petitions and related divorce court records in the first, second, third, fourth, and fifth circuit courts on the islands of Oahu, Maui, Hawaii, and Kauai, Hawaii for the years 1849-1915. The records are by case number and there are 4-5 pages per record. Some are written in Hawaiian.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Hawaii, Various Islands, Circuit Court Divorce Records, 1849-1950.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of spouse
- Date of marriage
- Place of marriage
- Divorce petition date
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- Spouse's name
- Place of residence
View the Images[edit | edit source]View images in this collection by visiting the Collection Browse Page:
- Select Island Name to view the images
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Search for marriage records and use the information to search other records such as birth and census records
- If children are involved use their ages to get estimated birth dates and search for their birth records and find the family in census records
- Use the residence to find land records
- The witnesses may be relatives
- Continue to search the marriage records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives of the bride and groom who may have married in the same county or nearby. This can help you identify other generations of your family or even the second marriage of a parent. Repeat this process for each new generation you identify
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames
- Search for the marriage record
- Check for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records
- Search the indexes and records of nearby counties
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Hawaii.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.