Hamilton County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Hamilton County, Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Hamilton County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||December 26, 1827|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Cemeteries
- 5.2 Census
- 5.3 Church
- 5.4 Court
- 5.5 Land
- 5.6 Local Histories
- 5.7 Maps
- 5.8 Military
- 5.9 Newspapers
- 5.10 Probate
- 5.11 Taxation
- 5.12 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
County Information[edit | edit source]
Hamilton County, Florida Record Dates[edit | edit source]
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
Hamilton County Courthouse
207 NE 1st Street
Jasper, FL 32052
County Judge has marriage and probate records.
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records from 1881
and land records from 1837. 
History[edit | edit source]
Parent County[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The county was named for Alexander Hamilton, first United States Secretary of the Treasury. The County Seat is Jasper and the county was created 1827. The County is located in the North central area of the state.
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
1836 -- Courthouse may have been destroyed by a tornado prior to 1836.
1929 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Places / Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Neighboring Counties[edit | edit source]
Lowndes County, Georgia • Madison • Suwannee
Resources[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
The following web site may have additional information on Hamilton County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Florida cemetery records
Census[edit | edit source]
For tips on accessing Hamilton County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census USGenWeb
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos USGenWeb
- 1885 1885 FamilySearch Florida State Population Census
- Federal Census Information from National Archives USGenWeb
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives USGenWeb
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service USGenWeb
Church[edit | edit source]
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
Court[edit | edit source]
Land[edit | edit source]
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Hamilton County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
Maps[edit | edit source]
- 1821-1997 Maps of Florida
- 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of StateUSGenWeb
- 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of StateUSGenWeb
- Exploring Florida, FCIT Maps University of South Florida
Military[edit | edit source]
- Hamilton County Military Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Florida State Military Files USGenWeb
- Florida state pension records from various wars Pension Transcriptions USGenWeb
Civil War[edit | edit source]
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885-1955 - Florida Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1955 at FamilySearch — index and images
World War I[edit | edit source]
World War II[edit | edit source]
- Hamilton County World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing Army and Army Air Forces Personnel (Genealogy Trails)
- 1940-1945 - Florida, World War II Draft Registration Cards,1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
Korean War[edit | edit source]
Vietnam War[edit | edit source]
- Florida Casualties in the Vietnam War distantcousin.com
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Hamilton County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate[edit | edit source]
Online Probate Records
- 1784 – 1990 FamilySearch Florida Probate Records 1784-1990
- 1810 – 1974 Ancestry.com $ Florida Wills and Probate Records 1810-1974
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, Florida State Archives, or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
Birth Records[edit | edit source]
Death Records[edit | edit source]
- 1877 - 1939 - Florida, Deaths, 1877-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1900 - 1921 - Florida, Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921 at FamilySearch — index
- 1877 - 1998 - Florida, Death Index, 1877-1998 at FamilySearch — index
Divorce Records[edit | edit source]
Marriage Records[edit | edit source]
- 1802 - 1998 - Florida, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1837 - 1974 - Florida, Marriages, 1837-1974 at FamilySearch — index
- 1830 - 1993 - Florida, Marriages, 1830-1993 at FamilySearch — index
- 1830 - 1957 - Florida, County Marriages, 1830-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1822 - 1875 and 1927 - 2001 - Florida, Marriage Index, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001 at FamilySearch — index
Societies and Libraries
[edit | edit source]
Hamilton County Hist. Museum Soc., Inc.
PO Box 929
- Random Acts of Kindness List of Florida Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical Genealogical Societies
- FamilySearch Find a Family History Center
- Florida Historical Society
- Florida State Genealogical Society
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- For current information about a center near you, go to the Family History Center Map
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Hamilton County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- The Hamilton County FLGenWeb Project, a member of TheFLGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- Hamilton County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Hamilton County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- Hamilton County, USGenWeb Archives
- Hamilton County, Florida Genealogy Trails
- Hamilton County FL Genealogy (ldsgenealogy.com)
References[edit | edit source]
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hamilton County, Florida . Page 133-137 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 143-145.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hamilton County, Florida Page 134 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogy Trails History Group, “Hamilton County, Florida Genealogy and History”, http://genealogytrails.com/fla/hamilton/ accessed 04/24/2017.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Hamilton County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_County,_Florida 04/24/2017.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Hamilton County, Florida," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_County,_Florida, accessed 26 January 2019.