Finding the Wales Place of Origin
(Redirected from GuidedResearch:Wales County of Origin)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Because of common names, knowing the place of origin (county or parish) in Wales is important and will narrow search results. Try the following suggestions:
- Survey previous research of the ancestor and their family (including parents, siblings, spouses, children).
- Search records in country of arrival. Some useful records include:
- Birth, marriage, death certificates
- Cemetery records
- Census records
- Church records
- Land and property records
- Military records
- Naturalization records
- Passenger lists
- Passport applications
- Probate records
- Search records in England. Some useful records include:
- Localize the surname. Checking a surname distribution map may locate the likely region an ancestor is from. Search for the surname of both the father/groom and the mother/bride to narrow down the region.
After place is located:
Go to Wales Guided Research to find the vital records of your ancestor.