Greene County, Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Greene County Virginia ancestry, family history, and genealogy. birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, immigration records, and military records.
|Greene County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia, United States Genealogy
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
- 1 County Information
- 2 Greene County Virginia History
- 3 Greene County Virginia Places/Localities
- 4 Greene County Virginia Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 Research Guides
- 4.2 African American
- 4.3 Bible Records
- 4.4 Cemeteries
- 4.5 Census
- 4.6 Church Records
- 4.7 Court
- 4.8 Funeral Homes
- 4.9 Genealogy
- 4.10 Land and Property
- 4.11 Local Histories
- 4.12 Maps
- 4.13 Military
- 4.14 Miscellaneous Records
- 4.15 Newspapers
- 4.16 Probate Records
- 4.17 Taxation
- 4.18 Vital Records
- 5 Greene County Virginia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Greene County Virginia Genealogy Websites
- 7 Greene County Virginia Genealogy References
County Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
Greene County is located in the Central portion of the Commonwealth of Virginia and was named in honor of Nathanael Greene who gained fame in the Revolutionary War as second-in-command to General George Washington.
Greene County Virginia Courthouse[edit | edit source]
Greene County Courthouse
P.O. Box 386
Standardsville, VA 22973-0386
Clerk Circuit Court has birth records 1853-1896
and 1912-1919, death records 1838-1860
marriage, divorce, probate, court and land records from 1838
General compliance year is unknown.
Greene County Virginia History[edit | edit source]
The county is named after Revolutionary War General Nathanael Greene (1742-1786).
Parent County[edit | edit source]
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
For animated maps illustrating Virginia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Virginia County Boundary Maps" (1617-1995) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
During the American Civil War the county's Deed Book 1, 1838-1841 was lost. A courthouse fire on 24 October 1979 left some court records with water damage.
- Lost census: 1890
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
- Burned Counties. By Michael John Neill at 24-7 Family History Circle.
- When the Records are Gone. By Arlene Eakle at Arlene Eakle's Tennessee Blog.
- Burned Counties Research in the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
Greene County Virginia Places/Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Greene County Virginia Genealogy Resources[edit | edit source]
Research Guides[edit | edit source]
- Dorman, John Frederick. "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Greene County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 12, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1968):106-107. Digital version at FHL; digital version at American Ancestors ($).
African American[edit | edit source]
- 1935-2009 Virginia, African-American Funeral Programs, 1935-2009, index and images, incomplete
- Search the Library of Virginia's Virginia Untold collection for digitized images of African Americans of Greene County.
Bible Records[edit | edit source]
Images of the Virginia Historical Society's family Bible collection have been digitized:
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|VA Gravestones||WorldCat||Billion Graves|
|See Virginia Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1800-1986 - Virginia, Jewish Cemetery Records Index, ca. 1800-1986 at FamilySearch — index
Census[edit | edit source]
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Court[edit | edit source]
Library of Virginia's Chancery Record Index can be used to search for Greene County chancery records for the years 1838-1961. Original records located at the Library of Virginia.
Funeral Homes[edit | edit source]
- 1935-2009 Virginia, African-American Funeral Programs, 1935-2009, index and images, incomplete
Genealogy[edit | edit source]
Compiled Genealogies by Surname
- See Greene County, Virginia Compiled Genealogies for a list of a few Published books and articles.
Land and Property[edit | edit source]
Grants and Patents
Land patents (pre-1779), land grants (after 1779) and surveys are available online at the Library of Virginia website. For step-by-step instructions on retrieving these records, read the Virginia Land and Property article.
- Hudgins. 13 patents dated 1722-1761 in what is now Greene County, Virginia placed on a map. DeedMapper. [Names of those who received land patents, dates, land descriptions, and references may be viewed free of charge (click "Index" next to the county listing); however, in order to view the maps, it is necessary to purchase Direct Line Software's DeedMapper product.]
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Maps[edit | edit source]
Military[edit | edit source]
Revolutionary War[edit | edit source]
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Eastern District, Greene County on pages 130-131.]
War of 1812[edit | edit source]
- Douthat, James L. Roster of War of 1812, Southside, Virginia. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press, 2007. Free online surname index and purchase details at Mountain Press website. FHL Collection 975.5 M2djL. [Includes Greene County.]
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Greene County, p. 82. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
Civil War[edit | edit source]
- 1861-1865 - Virginia, Civil War, Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1861-1865 - Virginia, Civil War, Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
Regiments. Service men in Greene County, Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Greene County, Virginia Genealogy:
- - 7th Battalion, Virginia Infantry, Local Defense (1st Nitre Battalion) (Confederate). Company F.
- - 34th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company D (Greene Rough and Readys) and Company K (King and Queen Artillery).
Miscellaneous Records[edit | edit source]
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
The Virginia Newspapers Project identifies local Greene County, Virginia Genealogy newspapers.
- 2011-present - Greene County Record (Stanardsville, Va.) at Genealogy Bank ($).
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Online Probate Records
- Images of Wills, Estates, Deeds, Bonds 1838-1860; 1860-1925. Virginia Pioneers ($)
- Images of WIlls, Estates, Deeds, Bonds in the Circuit Court 1842-1891. Virginia Pioneers ($)
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Indexes to Greene County, Virginia Genealogy births, marriages, and deaths are available online. These collections are incomplete, but are easy to search. Most records can also be ordered electronically online as well. Courtesy: FamilySearch. See also How to order Virginia Vital Records
Birth[edit | edit source]
Beth Fridley has published abstracts of Greene County, Virginia birth records online at Ancestry:
- Greene County, Virginia Births, 1853-1871 [database on-line]. Available at Ancestry ($).
- Greene County, Virginia Births, 1872-1878 [database on-line]. Available at Ancestry ($).
- Greene County, Virginia Births, 1879-1887 [database on-line]. Available at Ancestry ($).
- Greene County, Virginia Births, 1888-1896 [database on-line]. Available at Ancestry ($).
- 1853-1866 - Virginia, Slave Birth Index, 1853-1866 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1912-1913 - Virginia, Birth Certificates, 1912-1913 at FamilySearch — index and images
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1660-1959 - Virginia, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1740-1850 - Virginia Marriages 1740-1850 (Ancestry) ($).
- 1785-1940 Virginia, Select Marriages, 1785-1940 at Ancestry.com ($) — index
- 1851-1900 - Virginia Marriages 1851-1900 (Ancestry) ($).
- 1853-1935 Virginia, Bureau of Vital Statistics, County Marriage Registers, 1853-1935 at FamilySearch — index and images
Divorce[edit | edit source]
Death[edit | edit source]
Vital Record Substitutes[edit | edit source]
|For birth, marriage, and death record substitutes, see Bible Records, Cemeteries, Church Records, Newspapers, and Probate Records.|
Greene County Virginia Genealogy Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance, free access to center-only databases, and to premium genealogical websites.
FamilySearch Affiliate Libraries have access to most center-only databases, but may not always have full services normally provided by a family history center.
Local Centers and Affiliate Libraries
Greene County Virginia Genealogy Websites[edit | edit source]
- VAGenWeb. Part of the USGenWeb Project. Maps, name indexes, history.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Greene County, VA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Familytree101)
- Cyndi's List
Greene County Virginia Genealogy References[edit | edit source]
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Greene County, Virginia. Page 714 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Greene County, Virginia . Page 710-723 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 715-720.
- Lost Records Localities: Counties and Cities with Missing Records, 5, in Library of Virginia (accessed 4 April 2014).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Greene _ County,_Virginia," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greene_County,_Virginia#Communities accessed 20 January 2020.
- David F. Riggs, 7th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1982). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 3.
- Johnny L. Scott, 34th Virginia Infantry (Appomattox, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1999). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 135.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/images/3/37/Igivirginia.pdf.