France Births and Baptisms - FamilySearch Historical Records
|This is a Legacy Collection|
This collection is a partial index of records for this locality. The collection was originally assembled for publication in April 2010. Since that time only a few records may have been added. As no additional records will be added, or any corrections made to the data, this is considered to be a "Legacy" collection.
Where significant issues with the data have been identified, a Known Issues Wiki article has been created. See the table of contents of this article to see if one is available.
As this is an index of records compiled from various sources, it is strongly recommended that you verify any information you find with original records.
|Access the Records|
France Births and Baptisms, 1546-1896
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the French Republic|
|Location of France|
|Record Type:||Births & Baptisms|
|Archives départementales du Jura (Departmental Archives of Jura), France|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing this Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection is an index for the years 1546 to 1896. This index is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
For help reading these French records see the following guides:
- France Languages
- French Genealogical Word List
- French Handwriting
- Script Tutorial for French
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Event type
- Event date
- Event place
- Birth date
- Father's name
- Mother's name
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Coverage Table[edit | edit source]
The Coverage Table shows the places and time periods of the original records in this collection. The table indicates how many records the collection has from each place. Most of the records in the collection are from the time periods listed in the table; however, the collection may have a few records from before or after the time period
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the ancestor you are looking for
- Age or approximate year of birth
- Age or approximate year of death
As you search, look for a record which matches this information.
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Copy down all the information from the record image
- If you have not already done so, find the image of the original record. The image may contain more information than was put into the index entry
- Save or print a copy of the image for future reference
- Cite the record; see below for help citing records in this collection
- Use the information which has been discovered to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- When looking for a person with a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which individual is correct. Use other information, such as place of birth, age, occupation, or names of parents, to determine which candidate is the correct person. If listed, a personal title may be a clue to property ownership or occupation, either of which might be noted in other records
- Check for variants of given names and surnames. For much of the period of this collection, spelling was not standardized; pay special attention to how the name should have been pronounced and try variations on the pronunciation. A person might also have been listed under a middle name, nickname, or abbreviation of their given name
- Vary the search terms. For example, either expand the date range or search by either the given name or surname to return broader list of possible matches
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in France.
Citing this Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.