Fort Yuma Indian Boarding School (California)
History[edit | edit source]
Fort Yuma initially was a military post. A reservation was established for the Yuma Indians in 1884. The Indians on this reservation were supervised by the Colorado River Agency, and later by the Tule River Agency.
A school was established, at first by the Catholic Sisters, in about 1880. The school was obtained by the federal government in 1895 and made a reservation boarding school. In 1900, the school was given agency status.
Records[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.