Fort Mojave Indian Tribe
Guide to Mohave people ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, and other agency records.
The Fort Mojave Indian Reservation is a federally-recognized reservation, located in western Arizona, on the Colorado River, just south of Bullhead City, Arizona.
Tribal Headquarters[edit | edit source]
Fort Mojave Indian Tribe
500 Merriman Avenue
Needles, CA 92363
The Fort Mojave Indian Reservation is an Indian reservation along the Colorado River, currently encompassing 23,669 acres (96 km²) in Arizona, 12,633 acres (51 km²) in California, and 5,582 acres (23 km²) in Nevada.
The reservation was originally established in 1870 and is now home to approximately 1,100 members of the Mohave Tribe.
Agency (BIA) --Colorado River Indian Agency, Bureau of Indian Affairs
Principal tribes -- Mojave
History[edit | edit source]
Brief Timeline[edit | edit source]
Records[edit | edit source]
Agency Records[edit | edit source]
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
Fort Mojave, 1892-1915 Census Rolls FHL film 576839
Land Records[edit | edit source]
Total acres 38,384 
Reservations[edit | edit source]
For Further Reading[edit | edit source]
See also American Indian For Further Reading.
- Fort Mojave Indian Tribe. Constitution and Bylaws of the Fort Mojave Tribe of the Fort Mojave Reservation, Arizona, Nevada, and California. S.l: s.n.], 1957. WorldCat 22102903
- Fort Mojave Indian Tribe. Fort Mojave Indian Reservation. Needles, Calif: Fort Mojave Tribe, 1970. WorldCat 367572573
- Celebrating Change: The Fort Mojave Indian Tribe. Needles, CA: Fort Mojave Indian Tribe, 2001. WorldCat 51933736
- Smith, Gerald Arthur. The Mojave Indians. [Bloomington, Calif.]: San Bernardino County Museum Association, 1977. WorldCat 4975527
- American West Center. Doris Duke Oral History Project. 1966. WorldCat 447306117
- Fort Mojave Indian Tribe Official Website
- Fort Mojave Indian Reservation Wikipedia
- Fort Mojave Indian Tribe Constitution. A copy of the Constitution and By-laws for this tribe is available at the Sandra Day O'Connor Law Library at Arizona State University
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia: Fort Mojave Indian Reservation
- Indian Reservations A State and Federal Handbook. Compiled by The Confederation of American Indians, New York, N.Y. McFarland and Co. Inc., Jefferson, North Carolina, c. 1986. FHL book 970.1 In2.