Fluvanna County, Virginia Compiled Genealogies
Has anyone studied my Fluvanna County, Virginia Genealogy before?
More than 25 family history books and articles have been published about Fluvanna County's families.
- Main article: Fluvanna County, Virginia
Fluvanna County, Virginia Genealogy General Resources[edit | edit source]
Fluvanna County, Virginia Surnames (courtesy: Linkpendium) contains links to more than 20 online resources about this county's families, including compiled genealogies.
Fluvanna County, Virginia Genealogy Books and Articles[edit | edit source]
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Alford] James, Jessamine Bland. Family Records of Andrew Hunter of Louisa County, Virginia, and Jacob Alford of Garrard County, Kentucky, and Charles Alford of Garrard Co., Ky.: Copied from Court Records, Bibles, and Tombstones. MSS., donated in 1958, FHL Collection
- [Allen] Obert, Isabelle Board, Donald Dougherty, and Penelope Woodford. The Allen Family of Albemarle and Fluvanna. Baltimore, Maryland: Margaret Isabelle Board Obert, 1999. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library - free; FHL Book 929.273 AL53o.
- [Ashley] See Johnson.
- [Bain] Bain, Ethel M. The Bain Family: Ancestors and Descendants of Peter Bain of Tennessee, 1775-1980. San Angelo, Texas: E.M. Bain, 1980. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library - free; FHL Fiche 6117098.
- [Bain] Bain, Ethel M. The Bain Family, 1775-1980: Revised and Updated 1981-1998. Grand Junction, Colo.: E.B. Kennamer, 1998. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library - free; FHL Collection
- [Baskett] Martin, John Robert. Valentine Martin of Cumberland County, Virginia Also a Short Sketch of the Family of Rev. William Baskett of Fluvanna County, Virginia. Typescript. FHL Book 929.273 M363v.
- [Baskett] Ward, Rebecca Ann Eastman. The Baskett Family: Including the Families of Christie, Ford, Martin and Shepherd. Spokane, Wash.: R. Ward, 1992. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library - free; FHL Film 1750735 Item 7
- [Beckner] Sanchez, Margaret Tuttle. Documented American Lineage of Viola Culver Tuttle. Provo, Utah: M.S. Tuttle, 1988. FHL Collection
- [Bernard] Macy, E.E. Data Assembled on the Bernard Family for Archibald F. Bennett, Having Particular Reference to that Branch Located in Fluvanna Co., Va. MSS., 1944, FHL Film 6018101.
- [Bernard] Bernard, William Dallas and Pauline K. Skinner. The John Bernard and Mary Abney Genealogy, Fluvanna County, Virginia. Lascassas, Tennessee: W.D. Bernard, 1975. FHL Book 929.273 B456bw.
- [Bugg] Brochu, Francis Louis. The Buggs of Big Albemarle County, Virginia: In Three Parts. 3 vols. Salem, Virginia: F.L. Brochu, 1995. FHL Collection.
- [Cary] Meade, William. Old Churches, Ministers and Families of Virginia. 2 vols. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott and Co., 1861. Digital versions at Internet Archive: Vol. I and Vol. II - free.
- [Cary] Harrison, Fairfax. The Virginia Carys. New York: De Vinne Press, 1919. Digital version at Internet Archive - free; FHL Film 1011836 Item 3.
- [Cheatham] Dennstedt, Alberta Marjorie. "The Cheatham Family of Colonial Virginia," in The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 27, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1983):163-173; Vol. 27, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1983):273-279; Vol. 28, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1984):38-43; Vol. 28, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1984):102-112; Vol. 28, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1984):209-216; Vol. 28, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1984):293-297; Vol. 29, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1985):32-40; Vol. 29, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1985):123-127; Vol. 29, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1985):179-185; Vol. 29, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1985):262-265; Vol. 30, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1986):17-23; Vol. 30, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1986):99-104. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 27 (1983)-v. 30 (1986).
- [Claxton] Norris, George W. and Claxton Family Historical Committee. Henry Claxton and Descendants, 1790-1980. Warner Robins, Georgia: Claxton Family Historical Committee, 1982. FHL Collection
- [Claxton] Claxton, Brazle Hubert, James T. Martin, George W. Norris, and Claxton Family Historical Committee. Henry Claxton and Descendants, 1980-1990. Utica, Kentucky: McDowell Publications, 1992. FHL Collection
- [Cocke] "Genealogy of the Cocke Family in Virginia," The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 3, No. 3 (Jan. 1896):282-292, 340; Vol. 3, No. 4 (Apr. 1896):405-414; Vol. 4, No. 1 (Jul. 1896):86-96; Vol. 4, No. 2 (Oct. 1896):212-217; Vol. 4, No. 3 (Jan. 1897):322-332, 334; Vol. 4, No. 4 (Apr. 1897):431-450; Vol. 5, No. 1 (Jul. 1897):71-89; Vol. 5, No. 2 (Oct. 1897):181-198; Vol. 5, No. 3 (Jan. 1898):303-327; Vol. 5, No. 4 (Apr. 1898):449. Digitized by JSTOR - free.
- [Duncan] Dobson, Mary Ann Duncan. Duncan Research Files of Mary Ann (Duncan) Dobson. MSS. 1975-1999. FHL Film 795592 Item 6 Includes Fluvanna County.
- [Harlow] King, Martha Eheart. Harlow - Harlowe: Descendants of Henry Martin and Mary Elizabeth (Hawley) Harlow. Manassas, Va.: M.E. King, 1980. FHL Book 929.273 H227k.
- [Henley] Small, Deborah Ann Kraemer. Osborn--Randolph--Henley--Bland Family Group Sheets. MSS., FHL Collection
- [Johnson] Greenlee, Martha Sansom. Some Indiana and Kentucky Descendants of Dilmus Johnson, Virginia Soldier of the Revolution: Including Allied Lines Ashley, Pace, Bowden, Gray, Bradley, Porter and Descendants of Margaret E. Johnson, Wife of Benjamin Darby Sansom. MSS., FHL Collection; another copy FHL Collection
- [Lowry] Koetting, Jerome D. and Patricia G. Lowery Koetting. Descendants of James Lowry of Caldwell County, Kentucky. Rio Rancho, New Mexico: J.D. & P.G.L. Koetting, 1996. FHL Collection
- [Mayo] Harter, Mrs. Bert. "James Mayo (1711-1776) of Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 7, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1963):51-64. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 7 (1963).
- [Mayo] Mayo, Charles Edward. Joseph Mayo, 2nd Lt., Fluvanna, Va., Patriot: A Genealogy and Family History, 1620 to 2001. Prichard, West Virginia: C.E. Mayo, 2001. FHL Book 929.273 M454mc.
- [Moore] Moore, Charles R. The Moore Family of Central Virginia: Covering the Counties of Albeharle, Amherst, Bedford, Buckingham, Campbell, Fluvanna, Louisa, Nelson, and Orange, Virginia. Charlottesville, Virginia: C.R. Moore, 1985. FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 6921
- [Osborne] See Henley.
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. Page Family Records in Virginia Counties. 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 1982-2006. FHL Book 929.273 P141rdc v. 2 [Fluvanna County appears in Vol. 2 Part 2]
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. The Page Family in Virginia Personal Property Taxes (1782-1850). 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 P141rd v. 1-2 [Fluvanna County appears in Vol. 1]
- [Perkins] Perkins, William Robertson. Papers 1929-1943. Section 2. MSS. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Quarles] Sammis, Lucetta Crawford and John H. Tennent. "James Quarles and Descendants," Virginia Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 15, No. 4 (1977):130-134; Vol. 16, No. 2 (1978):59-63; Vol. 16, No. 3 (1978):86-92; Vol. 16, No. 4 (1978):140-144. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Smithson] Kennedy, Marvin S. John Smithson Pedigree. MSS., FHL Collection
- [Snead] Hatcher, William E. The Sneads of Fluvanna. Fork Union, Va.: Sneads of Fluvanna, 1959. FHL Book 929.273 Sn21h 1959; digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Strange] Alloway, Harold Jay. The Alloway History of a Strange Family. Derby, Kansas: H.J. Alloway, 1994. FHL Collection
- [Toney] Taylor, George Earl. A Brief Visit with the Old Folks. La Grange, Illinois: Taylor, 1975. FHL Collection
- [Westbrooks] Goodwin, Sarah Jones, Rutherford County Historical Society (Murfreesboro, Tn.), Estelle Jones Potts, and Leoma Smotherman Smotherman. Westbrooks-Williams and Related Smothermans of Rutherford County, Tennessee: With Histories of Midland Community, Oak Grove School, Old Leb Church. Murfreesboro, Tenn.: Rutherford County Historical Society, 1984. FHL Collection
- [Williamson] Harter, Mrs. Bert. "The Williamson Family," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 7, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1963):163-166. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 7 (1963).
- [Wilson] Shinn, Josiah Hazen. Pioneers and Makers of Arkansas. Little Rock, Ark.: Democrat Printing and Lithographing Co., 1908. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Winks] Dozier, Rebecca Leach. The Winks' Family of England and Fluvanna County, Va., 1700-1990. Augusta, Ga.: R.L. Dozier, [1991?]. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library - free; FHL Book 929.273 W729d.
- [Wood] Bayne, Margaret Williams. The Wood Family of Fluvanna County, Virginia, 1795-1969. Norfolk, Va.: M.W. Bayne, 1984. FHL Book 929.273 W85bm.
References[edit | edit source]