Florida Archives and Libraries
|Florida Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
These repositories preserve sources, maintain indexes, and provide services to help genealogists document their ancestors who lived in Florida.
Wiki Articles on Major Repositories in Florida[edit | edit source]
National Archives at Atlanta · Florida Health Bureau of Vital Statistics · Meek-Eaton Black Archives · State Archives of Florida · State Library of Florida · Alma C. Field Library of Florida History · Charlton W. Tebeau Library of Florida History · Florida History and Genealogy Library · Indian River County Main Library · Jacksonville Public Library Main Branch · Orlando Public Library · P.K. Yonge Library of Florida History · Polk County Historical and Genealogical Library · St. Augustine Historical Society Research Library · University of South Florida Tampa Library Special Collections · University of West Florida Archives and West Florida History Center · Volusia County Public Library Daytona Beach Regional · West Florida Public Library Genealogy Branch · West Oaks Branch Library and Genealogy Center · Dallas Public Central Library · Ellen Payne Odom Genealogy Library · Huxford-Spear Genealogical Library · Mobile Municipal Archives · Thomasville Genealogical, History and Fine Arts Library
Online Records of Florida[edit | edit source]
Links to online databases and indexes that may include vital records, biographies, cemeteries, censuses, histories, immigration records, land records, maps, military records, naturalizations, newspapers, obituaries, or probate records.
National Repositories[edit | edit source]
National Archives at Atlanta[edit | edit source]
- The National Archives at Atlanta has records from over 100 federal agencies and courts in Florida. Also includes Vice Admiralty Courts of SC, Constitutional rights, Revolutionary War, Civil War, reconstruction, World Wars I and II, and space exploration. Microfilms for censuses, diplomatic missions, military service records, bounty-land applications, passenger arrival lists, naturalizations, American Indians, and African Americans.
Statewide Repositories[edit | edit source]
Florida Health Bureau of Vital Statistics[edit | edit source]
Florida Health Bureau of Vital Statistics
1217 North Pearl Street
Jacksonville, FL 32202 USA
Telephone: 904-359-6900 x1024
Website: Florida Health Certificates and Registries
Florida Memory Projects Including Confederate pensions application, WWI service cards, early territorial census records and Spanish land grants. Download documents and images for free.
- Births since 1917, and from some counties as early as 1893; marriages and divorces since 1927; and deaths since 1917, and from some counties as early as 1877.
Meek-Eaton Black Archives[edit | edit source]
- A statewide, and southeastern states regional center for researching African American history and institutions: over 500,000 manuscripts, rare books, journals, magazines, maps, newspapers, and photographs.
State Archives of Florida[edit | edit source]
State Archives of Florida
R.A. Gray Building
500 South Bronough Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0250 USA
Website: Florida State Archives
- A great Florida genealogy collection including state and county documents. This is the place to start research on Florida residents. Online collections include Confederate Pension Applications, Spanish Land Grants, and World War I Service Cards.
- Florida Memory, it has photographs, video, audio,collections, exhibits, classroom and more.
State Library of Florida[edit | edit source]
State Library of Florida
R.A. Gray Building
500 South Bronough Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0250 USA
Website: State Library of Florida
- Published records of Florida, and state government publications, including 700,000 books, magazines, and newspapers, 2000 Florida maps, photos, and over 200,000 government documents.
Regional Repositories[edit | edit source]
Alma C. Field Library of Florida History[edit | edit source]
- Floridiana: books, maps, photos, family histories, manuscripts, photos, the Mosquito Beaters collection, the Alice Strickland collection, and the Florida State Genealogical Society collection.
Charlton W. Tebeau Library of FL History[edit | edit source]
Charlton W. Tebeau Library of Florida History
101 W Flagler St.
Miami, FL 33130 USA
Website: Historical Museum of Southern Florida Research Center
- Their collection is strong on the history of southern Florida. They also have many documents related to Cuba and the Caribbean.
Florida History and Genealogy Library[edit | edit source]
- Claims to be one of the largest genealogy collections in the southeastern United States with a geographic emphasis on Florida, the southeast region, the thirteen colonies, and all states on the Mississippi River.
Indian River County Main Library[edit | edit source]
- A big genealogy collection that rivals Orlando in size and quality.
Jacksonville Public Library Main Branch
303 N. Laura Street
Jacksonville, FL 32202 USA
Website: Jacksonville Public Library Main Library
- The Southeastern United States is covered well, including history, biography, genealogy, federal censuses and indexes. This is oldest collection of Floridiana in the state.
P.K. Yonge Library of Florida History[edit | edit source]
P.K. Yonge Library of Florida History
P.O. Box 117007
University Of Florida Smathers Library Room 100
Gainesville, FL 32611 USA
E-mail: Ask a Librarian
University of Florida
- Their collection includes Spanish colonial sources, United States borderland records, and the best Florida newspapers collection in the state.
Polk Co Historical and Gen Library[edit | edit source]
Polk County Historical and Genealogical Library
100 East Main Street
Bartow, Florida 33830-4629 USA
Website: http://library.mypclc.org/historical/ Polk County Genealogical Library]
- A very good genealogical collection.
St. Augustine Hist Soc Research Library[edit | edit source]
St. Augustine Historical Society Research Library
12 Aviles Street
St. Augustine, FL 32084 USA
Website: St. Augustine Historical Society Research Library
- An excellent collection of records about the first colonists on the east coast of Florida. Their Spanish holdings include parish record births, marriages, and deaths back to 1594.
Univ of S FL Tampa Library Special Coll[edit | edit source]
University of South Florida Tampa Library Special Collections
4202 E. Fowler Ave. LIB122
Tampa FL 33620 USA
Website: USF Libraries: Special Collections
- They have a good collection of published Florida local histories and Hillsborough County records.
UWF Archives and W FL History Center[edit | edit source]
University of West Florida Archives and West Florida History Center
John C. Pace Library
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL 32514 USA
E-mail: Contact Us
Website: University of West Florida Archives and West Florida History Center
- This an excellent research facility. Make this your starting place for finding records of the earliest European settlers in the Florida panhandle.
Volusia Co Pub Lib Daytona Beach Reg[edit | edit source]
Volusia County Public Library Daytona Beach Regional
105 E. Magnolia Ave.
Daytona Beach FL 32114 USA
Website: Daytona Beach Regional Library
- Very good genealogy collection not just for Florida, but also for the entire eastern seaboard.
West Florida Pub Lib Genealogy Branch[edit | edit source]
West Florida Public Library Genealogy Branch
Genealogy Branch Library
5740 N. 9th Avenue
Pensacola, FL 32504 USA
Website: Ask a Genealogy Expert
- A good genealogy collection. Focused on the southeastern states with a good selection for the northeastern and central states, Civil War, African Americans, family histories, local American Indian Cherokee and Creek tribes with some Chickasaw, Choctaw, and Seminole tribes.
West Oaks Branch Library & Gen Center[edit | edit source]
West Oaks Branch Library and Genealogy Center
1821 E. Silver Star Rd.
Ocoee, FL 34761
E-mail: Contact Us form
Website: West Oaks Branch Library & Genealogy Center Genealogy Collection
- Florida DAR collection with 25,000 books and periodicals, 10,000 microfiche, and over 15,000 microfilms. Includes census indexes, censuses 1790-1930, Florida deaths 1877-1997, marriages 1927-1997, divorces 1927-1997, Orlando births and deaths 1910-1922, Orlando city directories, nationwide passenger arrival lists, and Sanborn Fire Insurance maps.
Out of State Repositories[edit | edit source]
Dallas Public Central Library[edit | edit source]
- Outstanding genealogical collection with records for more than Texas, including Florida, Oklahoma, the South, Mid-Atlantic, and New England states.
Ellen Payne Odom Genealogy Library[edit | edit source]
Ellen Payne Odom Genealogy Library
Moultrie-Colquitt County Library
204 5th Street, S.E.
Moultrie, Georgia 31768 USA
Website: Ellen Payne Odom Genealogy Library
- Emphasizes Scottish immigrants to America, but also has a good basic American genealogy collection including Florida.
Huxford-Spear Genealogical Library[edit | edit source]
Huxford-Spear Genealogical Library
Street address: 20 S. College St.
Mailing address: P.O. Box 595
Homerville, GA 31634
Website:Huxford Genealogical Society, Inc.
- This collection covers the southeast United States well, including 14,000 files on families from south Georgia and north Florida.
Mobile Municipal Archives[edit | edit source]
Mobile Municipal Archives
Mail address: P.O. Box 1827
Mobile, Alabama 36633-1827 USA
Street address: 457 Church Street
Mobile, Alabama 36602 USA
Website: http://www.cityofmobile.org/archives/ Municipal Archives
- Includes records of early Alabama/Florida settlers: Spanish, French, and Anglo especially during the Spanish period. This is the premier library for Gulf Coast settlers from Louisiana to Florida.
Thomasville Gen, Hist & Fine Arts Library[edit | edit source]
Thomasville Genealogical, History and Fine Arts Library
135 North Broad Street
Thomasville, Georgia 31792 USA
Website: Thomasville Genealogical, History and Fine Arts Library
- Good collection of southern states family history material including Florida.
References[edit | edit source]
- William Dollarhide and Ronald A. Bremer. America's Best Genealogy Resource Centers (Bountiful, Utah: Heritage Quest, 1998), 127-28. At various libraries (WorldCat). FHL Ref Book 973 J54d.
- About the Archives - History in FAMU - The Black Archives Research Center (accessed 7 May 2015).
- Dollarhide and Bremer, 31.
- About the State Library of Florida in Florida Department of State (accessed 4 May 2015).
- The Alma C. Field Library of Florida History in Florida's Space Coast (accessed 5 May 2015).
- Genealogy Collection in Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperative (accessed 3 November 2016).
- Ask a Genealogy Expert in West Florida Public Library System (accessed 29 April 2015).
- Genealogy Collection in West Oaks Branch Library & Genealogy Center (accessed 3 November 2016).
- Dollarhide and Bremer, 107.
- Dollarhide and Bremer, 33.
- Huxford-Spear Genealogical Library History in Huxford Genealogical Society, Inc. (accessed 15 January 2016).
- Dollarhide and Bremer, 11.