FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Province Histories
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Instruction[edit | edit source]
Step One: Open Page in Wikitext[edit | edit source]
- From the Task List, select a province.
- Click on the first available province. This will take you to the province's page.
- Click Edit Source
Step Two: Locate Corresponding Page in Wikipedia[edit | edit source]
- In a separate window, open Wikipedia.org
- Search for the location.
Step Three: Extract Historical Information[edit | edit source]
- From the introduction and the history section (and other sections if need be) of Wikipedia, find the following type of information:
- The date the original area was founded.
- The date the location was created.
- What jurisdiction it belonged to at different periods of time.
- Historically significant events (fires, earthquakes, battles) that may have damaged genealogical records.
- Rephrase the historical information whenever possible so we are not directly copying Wikipedia.
- The histories should be written in paragraph form, with each piece of information you find in a sentence right after each other.
- The last sentence should give the population of the province. The basic format is already provided.
- Fill in the name of the location
- Fill in the population number, (usually stated in the sidebar), rounded to the hundred.
Step Four: Format Citation[edit | edit source]
There is already a template for a citation after the last bullet point.
- Copy the name of the wikipedia article into "PAGE NAME"
- Copy the wikipedia article's url into "URL"
- Write the current date in place of "DATE"
Example Page[edit | edit source]
The following link is the completed province page for Álava, Spain Genealogy