FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Portugal Civil Registration & Catholic Parishes
- 1 Instruction
Instruction[edit | edit source]
Step One: Open Page in Wikitext[edit | edit source]
- From the Civil Registration & Church Records Task List, select a district. This will take you to the district's table of municipalities.
- Click on the first available municipality. This will take you to the municipality's page.
- Click Edit Source
Step Two: Locate the Civil Registration Office[edit | edit source]
- In a separate window, open the website Conservatórias do registo civil
- Select the municipality's district (distrito) from the right-hand sidebar.
- Click Conservatoria do registro civil em (Province Name)
- Find the civil registration office for the municipality
- A fast way to find the reference is the Find function, usually accessed by typing control-F, then typing in the municipality's name
Step Three: Copy Civil Registrar Information into the Wiki[edit | edit source]
In the section Contact a Civil Registration Office, copy the contact information from the civil registrar(s) on Conservatórias do Registo Civil
- Copy the name of the civil register's office exactly as it appears on Conservatórias do Registo Civil
- Format the address as follows, using ALL CAPS
ADDRESS LINE 1 <br> ADDRESS LINE 2 <br> PORTUGAL<br>
- In phone number, copy the phone number as
Phone: NUMBER <br>
- In email, format the email as follows:
Email: [mailto:email email] <br>
- Make sure the email address is copied twice into the template, with a space between the two emails
Delete the second template for civil register's office if there is only one office
(Possible) Step Four: Delete template for Contact a Civil Registration Office[edit | edit source]
If there is no civil registrar office listed on Conservatórias do Registo Civil do the following:
- Delete both address templates, including all of the following
The following is a list of civil registration offices within the municipality.<br> '''Conservatória do Registo Civil de [MUNICIPALITY NAME]'''<br> address<br> phone number<br> [mailto:email email address]<br> '''Conservatória do Registo Civil de [MUNICIPALITY NAME]'''<br> address<br> phone number<br> [mailto:email email address]<br>
- Paste the following phrase under Contact a Civil Registration Office:
There are no known civil registration offices within the municipality of MUNICIPALITY NAME. Contact a civil registration office in a nearby municipality to find out if they have the records for MUNICIPALITY NAME.
- Replace MUNICIPALITY NAME with the name of the municipality.
Step Five: Delete "Contact a Parish"[edit | edit source]
We will not be listing contact information for Catholic parishes on the wiki.
- Delete the template for contacting a parish, including all of the following information:
The following is a list of parishes within the municipality of Águeda. There may be additional parishes not listed on this page.<br> '''Parish Name'''<br> address<br> phone number<br> [mailto:email email address]<br> '''Parish Name'''<br> address<br> phone number<br> [mailto:email email address]<br>
- Paste the following information into the space underneath "=== Contact a Parish ==="
If you are seeking church records created more recently than 1910, it is possible to obtain them by writing to the parish where the record was created. Writing to a parish is not always a reliable way to obtain information, because officials may or may not respond. <br> '''[http://www.conferenciaepiscopal.pt/v1/dioceses/ Conferência Episcopal Portuguesa]''' lists websites for the 20 Dioceses of Portugal. Once on the Diocesan website, use the listing of parishes (paróquias) to locate contact information for the parish in question.<br>
Example Page[edit | edit source]
The following link is the completed municipality page for The Municipality of Águeda