FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Oklahoma Descriptions
Oklahoma Project Page Nebraska Descriptions
Instructions[edit | edit source]
Step 1: Gather information about the County[edit | edit source]
1. This part of the project involves gathering information about the county to add to the Description section. Try to gather this information via Google, avoiding Wikipedia if possible (we don't want to copy everything from them). Information can likely be found on a county-maintained page, or on a USGenWeb county website. Be sure to get the URL from any website where you garner information, as you will need to cite the information if you quote it.
Type of Information for Description:
- Where the county is located in the state
- Date the county was created (sometimes found under another heading on the wiki page)
- Any interesting facts about the county that may be helpful in researching the county.
- If possible, try to include information on early settlers and immigrants to the county.
Possible resources for information include the county website, USGenWeb county sites as well as genealogical society websites.
2. Once you have found information to enter, create a Description heading under the Parent County section.
3. Then, add a reference to the website for each piece of information you find. The following is an example of a reference in wikitext, to use as a guide to adapt to each website:
- <ref>Wikipedia contributors, "Adams County," in ''Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia'', https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adams_County,_Nebraska, accessed 19 July 2016.
Example[edit | edit source]
For an example of what this heading should look like when it is complete, click here.