FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject England Poor Law Unions
Current Projects page Adding England Poor Law Unions Links
Purpose[edit | edit source]
To add links to the Poor Law Union field in the England parish infoboxes.
Contact[edit | edit source]
Task List[edit | edit source]
Instructions[edit | edit source]
1. Sign up for a set of parish pages on the Task List.
2. There is an infobox on each parish page that contains a Poor Law Union field. The field will contain a link of the name of the Poor Law Union for that parish. If the link is red or black, you are going to replace this name with an external link to a page describing that particular Poor Law Union/Workhouse. If the link is blue, it is a good one and you can move on to the next county.
3. In a separate window open the Poor Law Union/Workhouse Website. This is where you will get the URLs you need to update the Infobox with. Once you have the page open, select Workhouse Locations
When you have selected Workhouse Locations, you will then choose English Poor Law Unions from the menu.
This brings up a list of the major divisions. Note that each one of these can be clicked on to bring up more specific locations.
In most cases you will find the name of the PLU that you need under the county name for the county you are working in. However, in cases like London, Yorkshire, etc., you may have to open more than one of the main locations to find what you are looking for.
4. Once you have located the PLU that you want, click on it to bring up that page on the website. This is the URL you are going to paste into the Infobox on the wiki.
5. Open the edit screen on your page on the wiki and look for the template Infobox England Jurisdictions. Inside that template you will find the parameter Poor Law Union and the = sign along with the name of the PLU. It is this PLU name that you will be changing.
6. Using wikitext you will replace the name of the poor law union with a link to the URL you have found.
In the example above, your code would look like this [http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Weymouth/ Weymouth] with a space between the URL and the name of the PLU.
7. Once you have entered the code for the URL, go to the Edit Summary Box and add the words "Added link to poor law union" and then save your work.
8. Once you have saved, take a look at the Infobox again on the page and be sure it looks the way you think it should (have the name of the PLU that is hyperlinked to the website page).
9, Move on to the next parish on your list. Once you have finished all of your parishes, add a completed date under your name on the Task List.