England, Leicestershire and Rutland Parish Registers - FamilySearch Historical Records
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 Image Visibility
- 3 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains parish registers from Leicestershire and Rutland from 1538 to 1900. The records can contain name, birth date, marriage date, death date, birthplace, parents, etc. The records were captured at the Record Office for Leicestershire and Rutland Archive.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of the event
- Approximate age of the person
Search the Index[edit | edit source]You will be able to search this collection when it is published.
View the Images[edit | edit source]You will be able to view the images in this collection when it is published.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Rutland Parish Registers. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have lived in the same area
- Continue to search in the same area for more information on the individual and family members
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Check for variants of given names and surnames. It was not uncommon for an individual to be listed under a nickname, middle name, or abbreviation of their given name
- Baptism date may have occurred much later than the birth date
- Burial date may be much later than the death date
- A woman may be using her maiden name
- Search the records of nearby locations
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Leicestershire.
- Leicestershire Guided Research
- Rutland Guided Research
- England Record Finder
- England Research Tips and Strategies
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.