Duval County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Duval County, Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Duval County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||August 12, 1822|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Biographies
- 5.2 Cemeteries
- 5.3 Census
- 5.4 Church
- 5.5 Cities and Towns
- 5.6 Court
- 5.7 Emigration and Immigration
- 5.8 Land
- 5.9 Local Histories
- 5.10 Maps
- 5.11 Military
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Probate
- 5.14 Taxation
- 5.15 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
County Information[edit | edit source]
Duval County, Florida Record Dates[edit | edit source]
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
Duval County Courthouse
330 E Bay Street
Jacksonville, FL 32202
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce, court and
land records from 1921.
County Judge has marriage and probate records. 
History[edit | edit source]
Parent County[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The county was named for William Pope DuVal. DuVal was territorial governor from 1822-1834. Prior to European arrival, the area was inhabited by indigenous people, the Timucua and Mocama. The County Seat is Deland and the county was created 1854. The County is located in the Northeast area of the state.
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
Civil War and 1901 Duval County Courthouse was burned both during the Civil War, and later in 1901. The extent of the record loss is unknown.
Places / Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
On October 1, 1968, Duval County and the City of Jacksonville consolidated their governments into one single entity. Jacksonville Beach, Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach and Baldwin still maintain independent municipality status in Duval County. Besides these exceptions, all communities within Duval County were incorporated into Jacksonville City. Therefore, several neighborhoods and communities within a city exist today in Duval County. For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit Hometown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in Duval County:
Neighboring Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
Biographies[edit | edit source]
Biographies at Duval Co, FLGenWeb
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
The following web sites may have additional information on Duval County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Florida cemetery records
Census[edit | edit source]
For tips on accessing Duval County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
The 1885 Florida State Population Census includes sex, age, relationship, occupation, place of birth of each family member and parents. Also census for agriculture, manufacture and mortality.
Church[edit | edit source]
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
Ward and Branch Records (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)
- Panama Park
Cities and Towns[edit | edit source]
Cities and Towns of Duval Co, FLGenWeb
Atlantic Beach, Baldwin, Jacksonville,Jacksonville Beach, Neptune Beach
Court[edit | edit source]
Emigration and Immigration[edit | edit source]
Land[edit | edit source]
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Duval County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- British West Florida at Duval Co FLGenWeb
- History of Duval Co FLGenWeb
- History of Jacksonville Florida WorldCat
Maps[edit | edit source]
Military[edit | edit source]
- Duval County Military Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1883 - Duval County Pensioners on the Roll as of January 1, 1881 (Genealogy Trails)
Civil War[edit | edit source]
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885-1955 - Florida Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1955 at FamilySearch — images only
Civil War Battle[edit | edit source]
The following Civil War battle was fought in Duval County:
- Map showing Civil War battles in Florida.
World War I[edit | edit source]
- 1917 - 1918 - Index to Duval County Draft Registration - Scroll down to WWI. (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1917 - 1920 - Florida, World War I Navy Card Roster, 1917-1920 at FamilySearch — index and images
World War II[edit | edit source]
- Index to Duval County World War II Army Enlistees - Scroll down to WWII. (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1940-1945 - Florida, World War II Draft Registration Cards,1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
Korean War[edit | edit source]
- Duval County Korean War Casualties (Genealogy Trails)
Vietnam War[edit | edit source]
- Duval County Vietnam War Casualties (Genealogy Trails)
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Duval County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate[edit | edit source]
- 1784-1990 FamilySearch Florida Probate Records 1784-1990
- 1810-1974 Ancestry.com $ Florida Wills and Probate Records 1810-1974
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, Florida State Archives, or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
Birth Records[edit | edit source]
Death Records[edit | edit source]
- 1877 - 1939 - Florida, Deaths, 1877-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1900 - 1921 - Florida, Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921 at at FamilySearch — index
- 1877 - 1998 - Florida, Death Index, 1877-1998 at FamilySearch — index
Divorce Records[edit | edit source]
Marriage Records[edit | edit source]
- 1802 - 1998 - Florida, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1837 - 1974 - Florida, Marriages, 1837-1974 at FamilySearch — index
- 1830 - 1993 - Florida, Marriages, 1830-1993 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1830 - 1957 - Florida, County Marriages, 1830-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1822 - 1875 and 1927-2001 - Florida, Marriage Index, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001 at FamilySearch — index
Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
Jacksonville Historical Society
314 North Palmetto Street
Jacksonville, FL 32202-2217
Telephone Number: 904-374-0296
Jacksonville Historical Society
100-B Wharfside Way
Jacksonville, FL 32207
Telephone Number: 904-396-6307
Southern Genealogist's Exchange Society
PO Box 2801
Jacksonville, FL 32203-2801
- Random Acts of Kindness List of Florida Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical Genealogical Societies
- FamilySearch Find a Family History Center
- Florida Historical Society
- Florida State Genealogical Society
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- For current information about a center near you, go to the Family History Center Map
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Duval County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Duval County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Duval County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- Duval County, Florida, USGenWeb Archives
References[edit | edit source]
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Duval County, Florida . Page 133-137 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 143-145.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Duval County, Florida. Page 134 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogy Trails History Group, “Duval County, Florida Genealogy and History”, http://genealogytrails.com/fla/duval/ accessed 04/24/2017.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Duval County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duval_County,_Florida 04/24/2017.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Jacksonville Consolidation," in "Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia," https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacksonville_Consolidation, accessed 10 October 2018.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Government of Jacksonville," in "Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia," https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_of_Jacksonville, accessed 10 October 2018.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Duval County, Florida," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duval County, Florida, accessed 5 December, 2018.
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State