Dominican Republic Genealogy
|Dominican Republic Wiki Topics|
|Dominican Republic Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Dominican Republic ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Country Information[edit | edit source]
The Dominican Republic is an island country in the Caribbean whose nearest neighbors are Haiti, Cuba, Turks and Caicos Islands, Jamaica, and Puerto Rico. It was formerly a colony of France, Spain, and Haiti. The official language is Spanish.
Getting Started[edit | edit source]
Getting Started with Dominican Republic Research
Links to articles on getting started with Dominican Republic research.
Dominican Republic Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Dominican Republic research.
Dominican Republic Clickable Map[edit | edit source]
Click on the province in the map or in the list below it.
Provinces[edit | edit source]
Genealogy records are kept on the local level in the Dominican Republic. Click on a place below to go to the corresponding Wiki article listing more information.
31 provinces (provincias singular - provincia), and 1 district (distrito)
- Distrito Nacional or Santo Domingo
- El Seibo
- Elias Pina
- Hato Mayor
- La Altagracia
- La Romana
- La Vega
- Maria Trinidad Sanchez
- Monsenor Nouel
- Monte Cristi
- Monte Plata
- Puerto Plata
- San Cristobal
- San Jose de Ocoa
- San Juan
- San Pedro de Macoris
- Sanchez Ramirez
- Santiago Rodriguez
FamilySearch Resources[edit | edit source]
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in researching your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Historical Records
- Family History Center locator map
Research Tutorials[edit | edit source]
- Search page
- Introduction to Hispanic Research
- U.S. Hispanic Immigration
- U.S. Hispanic Immigrants: Finding their Place of Origin
- Improve your Search Results in FamilySearch Hispanic Records
- Reading Spanish Handwritten Records:
- Lesson 1: The Spanish Alphabet
- Lesson 2: Words and Dates
- Lesson 3: Reading Spanish Records
- Hispanic Online Resources
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Dominican Republic," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominican_Republic, accessed 17 May 2016.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Provinces of the Dominican Republic," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provinces_of_the_Dominican_Republic, accessed 3 May 2016.
To access available information, first log into FamilySearch.