District of Columbia, United States Genealogy
|District of Columbia Wiki Topics|
|District of Columbia Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to District of Columbia ancestry, family history, and genealogy, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records
District of Columbia Information[edit | edit source]
The District of Columbia, or Washington, D.C., is the capitol of the United States of America. The first land grants to English settlers, in what is now the District of Columbia (then Charles County, Maryland), were made in 1663. Scottish immigrants founded Georgetown in 1751. Only a few people lived in the area when the federal government offices were moved there from Philadelphia in 1800. The city grew slowly until the 1860s, when the population more than doubled during and after the Civil War.
Getting Started[edit | edit source]
Getting Started with District of Columbia Research
Links to articles on getting started with District of Columbia research.
District of Columbia Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in District of Columbia research.
District of Columbia Map[edit | edit source]
Migration Routes[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Resources[edit | edit source]
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in researching your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- Historical Records - databases and record images on FamilySearch
- District of Columbia Family History Center locator map
Additional Resources[edit | edit source]
- 2001-2014 – Currentobituary.com index, 2001-2014 at FamilySearch – Index
- Cyndi's List – Washington, D.C. genealogy sites on the internet
- Washington, D.C. Genealogy Trails – Collection of transcribed data for Washington, D.C.
- The Ancestor Hunt – Resources for Washington, D.C. genealogy research
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness – Volunteer look-ups in Washington, D.C.
- Washington, D.C. Research Outline – Original Family History Library research outline; contains many out of date links
- Every Name Index
To access available information, first log into FamilySearch.