Devon Archives and Libraries
|Devon Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
- 1 Record Offices
- 2 Libraries
- 3 Museums
Record Offices[edit | edit source]
Devon Heritage Centre[edit | edit source]
- There are three local archives covering the historic county of Devon, England. The Devon Heritage Centre in Exeter is the main archive. It has a branch office, the North Devon Record Office in Barnstaple (established in 1988), which is the repository for records broadly relating to North Devon. Since 2014 the joint service has been run by the South West Heritage Trust under the name of the Devon Archives and Local Studies Service.
- In addition, there is the Plymouth and West Devon Record Office in Plymouth, run since 1998 as an independent archive service by Plymouth City Council, which hold records relevant to the area indicated by its name. This archive is planned to move into the new Plymouth History Centre in spring 2020.
North Devon Record Office[edit | edit source]
Plymouth and West Devon Record Office[edit | edit source]
Plymouth and West Devon Record Office
Unit 3 Clare Place
Plymouth, Devon PL4 0JW UK
Telephone: 1752 305940
Website: Plymouth and West Devon Record Office
Libraries[edit | edit source]
The Charles Seale-Hayne Library[edit | edit source]
The Charles Seale-Hayne Library
Plymouth, Devon PL4 8AA UK
Telephone: 1752 600600
Website: Charles Seale-Hayne Library
- The Charles Seale-Hayne Library is open 24/7 and provides access to approximately 350,000 books and multimedia items, 14,000 current journal subscriptions, and a variety of different study environments. In one central location there are the resources you need to carry out research (books, journals, electronic resources), to present your work (computers, printers, photocopiers, loan equipment, shop) and experienced, friendly staff to help you.
Plymouth Central Library Local and Family History[edit | edit source]
University of Exeter Library[edit | edit source]
University of Exeter Library
Exeter, Devon EX4 4PT UK
Telephone: 1392 723867
Website: Library Catalogue Search
Museums[edit | edit source]
Royal Albert Memorial Museum[edit | edit source]
Royal Albert Memorial Museum
Exeter, Devon EX4 3RX, UK
Telephone: 1392 265858
Website: Royal Albert Memorial Museum
- Exeter’s world-class museum has stunning displays and galleries, fabulous exhibitions and modern amenities. The displays reveal Devon and Exeter’s rich history and global connections. Exotic animals, birds and insects delight children and the World Cultures galleries display stunning items from all over the world.
Tiverton Museum of Mid Devon Life[edit | edit source]
- Explore the museum’s large, outstanding collections and trace the fascinating history of Mid Devon. The displays include the ‘Tivvy Bumper’ GWR steam engine, local industries (particularly lace making), farm waggons and the history of agriculture, and the every day home life of Mid Devon folk.
For a long list of Devon museums, go to List of museums in Devon in Wikipedia.