Denmark Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
|Denmark Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Encyclopedias may provide information on all branches of knowledge or treat specific topics comprehensively, usually in alphabetically arranged articles. They often contain information of great interest for genealogical research, including articles about towns and places, prominent people, minorities, and religions. They can give information about diverse subjects, such as record-keeping practices, laws, customs, commerce, costumes, occupations, and archaic terminology.
The Family History Library has general-knowledge encyclopedias from Denmark (in Danish) along with Danish-English and English-Danish dictionaries. The encyclopedias and dictionaries are listed in the FamilySearch Catalog under DENMARK - ENCYCLOPEDIAS AND DICTIONARIES.
The following are good Danish - English & English to Danish dictionaries:
- 1853 English to Danish Dictionary. published by Gyldendal, in Google Books.
- 1888 Danish - Norwegian - English Dictionry, by Gyldendalske Bogandel in Google Books
- 1902 Dansk - Norsk - Engelsk Dictionary, by Gyldendalske Boghandels Forlag in Google Books
- 1954 McKay's Modern Danish-English English-Danish Dictionary. New York: David McKay Co. 1954. (FHL Scand. 439.81321 M275m; film 1,440,033.)
- Bab.la Dictionary online (Danish English)
For more information, see the article Denmark Languages.
Other Resources[edit | edit source]
- A comprehensive dictionary of the Danish Language (Danish to Danish) Ordbog Over Det Danske Sprog
- Dictionary of the Older Danish Language see: Ordbog til det Ældre Danske Sprog (1300 - 1700)
- Molbech, Christian. 1859 Danish Dictionary (Danish to Danish). published by Ghent University, 1859 in Google Books.
- Danish Dictionary (Danish to Danish) Sproget.dk