Democratic Republic of the Congo Gazetteers
|Democratic Republic of the Congo Wiki Topics|
|Democratic Republic of the Congo Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Places
- World Gazetteers at Archive.org
- Wikipedia: List of Cities in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Geoba.se Democratic Republic of the Congo- Top 100 Cities by Population
Print Only Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
- United States. Board on Geographic Names, Republic of the Congo (Léopoldville) : official standard names approved by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names, Washington, D.C. : U.S. Office of Geography, 1964
Why Use Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
A gazetteer is a dictionary of place-names. Gazetteers list or describe towns and villages, parishes, states, populations, rivers and mountains, and other geographical features. They usually include only the names of places that existed at the time the gazetteer was published. Within a specific geographical area, the place-names are listed in alphabetical order, similar to a dictionary. You can use a gazetteer to locate the places where your family lived and to determine the civil and religious jurisdictions over those places.
There are many places within a country with similar or identical place-names. You will need to use a gazetteer to identify the specific town where your ancestor lived, the state the town was or is in, and the jurisdictions where records about the person was kept.
Gazetteer Contents[edit | edit source]
Gazetteers may also provide additional information about towns, such as:
- Different religious denominations
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Major manufacturers, canals, docks, and railroad stations
- The population size.
- Boundaries of civil jurisdiction.
- Ecclesiastical jurisdiction(s)
- Longitude and latitude.
- Distances and direction from other from cities.
- Schools, colleges, and universities.
- Denominations and number of churches.
- Historical and biographical information on some individuals (usually high-ranking or famous individuals)