Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
A general explanation of probate records in England, is given in the article England Probate Records.
Step By Step[edit | edit source]
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will or administration (admon), writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to the "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Cornwall County Record Officeor, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. A list of researchers is available on the county record office's website.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records. Then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via anycenters near you.
Indexes[edit | edit source]
Online Indexes[edit | edit source]
Cornwall Wills online (see section, "Probate Records")
Printed & Published Indexes[edit | edit source]
The following indexes are at the Family History Library:
- Probate will indexes, 1569-1664 arranged by parish.
- Calendar of wills, administrations and accounts relating to the counties of Cornwall and Devon in the Connotorial Archdeaconal Court of Cornwall edited by R. M. Glencross
- Index to Cornish probate records, 1600-1649.
- Calendars of wills and administrations relating to the counties of Devon and Cornwall : 1532-1800
- Calendar of wills and administrations relating to the counties of Devon and Cornwall proved in the consistory court ..., 1532-1800, edited by Edward Alexander Fry
Records[edit | edit source]
Archive Location[edit | edit source]
Old County Hall
United Kingdom, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 323127
Archive Records[edit | edit source]
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
Original Wills, Admons, & Inventories 1600-1858
Register Copy Wills 1690-1858
Act Books 1592-1858
Family History Library Records[edit | edit source]
The Family History Library has copies of the following records on film. Films can be viewed in a family history center.
- Wills and probate records, 1578-1700
- Original wills, administrations and inventories for the Consistorial Court of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall, 1579-1859
- Cornish probate records at Cornwall Record Office, 1800-1857
- Miscellaneous probate records, 1570-1799
- Transcript of Cornish wills, from the probate registry of Truro compiled by Olive Moger
Jurisdiction[edit | edit source]
This court was inhibited by the Court of the Bishop's Registrar of Exeter. The original records of the Court of the Archdeacon of Cornwall are in the County Record Office.
The court had jurisdiction over the Devonshire parishes of North Petherwin, St. Giles on the Heath, and Werrington.