Columbia County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Columbia County, Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Columbia County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||February 4, 1832|
|County Seat||Lake City|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Cemeteries
- 5.3 Census
- 5.4 Church
- 5.5 Court
- 5.6 Land
- 5.7 Local Histories
- 5.8 Maps
- 5.9 Military
- 5.10 Newspapers
- 5.11 Obituaries
- 5.12 Probate
- 5.13 Taxation
- 5.14 Vital Records
- 5.15 Voters Registration
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
County Information[edit | edit source]
Columbia County, Florida Record Dates[edit | edit source]
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
Columbia County Courthouse
145 N Hernando St; PO Box 2069
Lake City, FL 32055
Clerk Circuit Court has birth records from 1943,
marriage and land records from 1875,
divorce and court recordsc from 1892
and probate records from 1895; Public
Health Unit has birth, death and burial records
History[edit | edit source]
Parent County[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The County Seat is Lake City and the county was created February 4, 1832. The County is located in the North Central area of the state.
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
1848, 1860, 1867, and 1874 -- Columbia County Courthouses were burned by arsonists in 1848, 1860, 1867, and 1874. Most early records were destroyed.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Places / Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
Neighboring Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
African American[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
The following web sites may have additional information on Columbia County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Florida cemetery records
Census[edit | edit source]
For tips on accessing Columbia County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1885 Florida State Population Census - Includes sex, age, relationship, occupation, place of birth of each family member and parents. Also census for agriculture, manufacture and mortality.
- Federal Census Information from National Archives USGenWeb Archives Project
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives USGenWeb Archives Project
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service USGenWeb Archives Project
Church[edit | edit source]
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
Ward and Branch Records of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Lake City
Court[edit | edit source]
Land[edit | edit source]
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Columbia County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
Maps[edit | edit source]
- Maps of Florida (1821-1997)
- 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of State USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of State USGenWeb Archives Project
- Exploring Florida, FCIT Maps, University of South Florida
Military[edit | edit source]
- Columbia County Military Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Florida State Military Files USGenWeb Archives Project
- Pension Transcriptions Florida state pension records from various wars USGenWeb Pension Project
Civil War[edit | edit source]
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1883 - Columbia County Pensioners on the Roll as of January 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1885-1955 - Florida Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1955 at FamilySearch — images only
World War I[edit | edit source]
- Index to Columbia County World War I Draft Registration - Scroll down to WWI. (USGenWeb Archives)
- Columbia County World War I Casualty List (Genealogy Trails)
- 1917-1920 - Florida, World War I Navy Card Roster, 1917-1920 at FamilySearch — index and images
World War II[edit | edit source]
- Index to Columbia County World War II Army Enlistees - Scroll down to WWII. (USGenWeb Archives)
- Columbia County World War II Casualty List (Genealogy Trails)
- Columbia County World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing Army and Army Air Forces Personnel (Genealogy Trails)
- 1940-1945 - Florida, World War II Draft Registration Cards,1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
Korean War[edit | edit source]
- Columbia County Korean War Casualty List (Genealogy Trails)
- Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict
Vietnam War[edit | edit source]
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Columbia County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
- Florida Obituaries Obituary transcriptions from Florida counties - USGenWeb Obituaries Project
Probate[edit | edit source]
Online Probate Records
- 1784 – 1990 FamilySearch Florida Probate Records 1784-1990
- 1810 – 1974 Ancestry.com $ Florida Wills and Probate Records 1810-1974
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, Florida State Archives, or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
Birth Records[edit | edit source]
- 1880 - 1935 - FamilySearch Florida, Births and Christenings, 1880-1935
Death Records[edit | edit source]
- 1877 - 1939 - FamilySearch Florida, Deaths, 1877-1939
- 1900 - 1921 - FamilySearch Florida, Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921
- 1877 - 1998 - FamilySearch Florida, Death Index, 1877-1998
Divorce Records[edit | edit source]
Marriage Records[edit | edit source]
- 1802 - 1998 - Florida, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1837 - 1974 - FamilySearch Florida, Marriages, 1837-1974
- 1830 - 1993 - FamilySearch Florida, Marriages, 1830-1993
- 1830 - 1957 - Florida, County Marriages, 1830-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1822 - 1875 and 1927 - 2001 - FamilySearch Florida, Marriage Index, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001
- Florida State Archives
Voters Registration[edit | edit source]
1845 voters registration list for Columbia County.
Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
Columbia County Historical Society
810 S. Seventh St.
Lake City, FL 32055
- Random Acts of Kindness List of Florida Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical Genealogical Societies
- FamilySearch Find a Family History Center
- Florida Historical Society
- Florida State Genealogical Society
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- For current information about a center near you, go to the Family History Center Map
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Columbia County FLGenWeb
- Columbia County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Columbia County FLGenWeb
- Columbia County FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- Columbia County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- State of Florida
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Columbia County, USGenWeb Archives.
- Columbia County, Florida Genealogy Trails
- Columbia County FL Genealogy (ldsgenealogy.com)
References[edit | edit source]
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Columbia County, Florida . Page 133-137 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 143-145.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Columbia County, Florida. Page 133 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Columbia County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_County,_Florida 04/24/2017.