Colorado Statewide Divorce Index - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Colorado, Statewide Divorce Index, 1900-1939
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Colorado|
|Location of Colorado|
|Record Type||Divorce Index|
|Colorado State Archives, Denver, Colorado|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains a divorce index from the Colorado Department of Health for the years 1900 to 1939. The index is arranged in alphabetical order.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Colorado Statewide Divorce Index, 1900-1939.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of Plaintiff and Defendant
- Date of divorce
- Date and place of marriage
- Number of minor children
- Reference ID
- Wife's maiden name if resuming
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The names of the couple who divorced
- The date of the divorce
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the Surname Range to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Colorado Statewide Divorce Index, 1900-1939. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
- Whenever possible, look at the original record. If often has more information than the indexed record.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Search for the actual divorce decree
- Use the information to find the marriage record
- Search for other vital records such as birth, christening, census, land and death records
- With the names of both spouses known, research prior census records for children that were born to the couple
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relationships that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, try searching nearby localities
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Colorado.
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
Related Digital Books[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.