Church of the Redeemer, Orangeburg, South Carolina
Jump to navigation Jump to search
South Carolina Historical Society holdings:
- "Church of the Redeemer (Episcopal). Orangeburg. Typescript Register, 1739-1885. 179 pp."
- "Oldest Episcopal congregation in Orangeburg and Amelia townships. Recorded are births and baptisms (1739-1784) banns and marriages (1740—1781), deaths and burials (1744-1885), and confirmations (1848-1882). The first decade of baptismal records were translated from German in 1861 by John Lucas. They and the idiosyncratic English of other early entries reflect the German background of the first rector, Jacob Giessendanner. Negro baptisms were usually performed in private homes. Germans and Swiss who peopled the church include the Belzigler, Harrisperger, Izlar, Rumph, and Wannamaker families. Other names frequently recurring include Joyner, Lucas, Owen and Pendarvis."