Chinle Indian Agency (Arizona)
The Chinle Agency is one of five currently operating administrative jurisdictions of the Bureau of Indian Affairs for the Navajo Reservation. It is located in Chinle, Arizona and its supervising office is the Navajo Area Office.
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
The original Navajo Agency was established in 1852 for the Navajo Indians in Arizona, New Mexico, and Utah. After 1901, this agency was gradually divided into several independent agencies. One of those was the Northern Navajo Agency which operated from at least 1903 to 1935 in Shiprock, New Mexico and was sometimes called the Shiprock Agency. It was also sometimes called the San Juan Agency. In 1935, the independent agencies were consolidated into one agency called the Navajo Service, with headquarters in Window Rock, Arizona.
In 1949, the Window Rock Area Office was established and a Navajo Agency was created under the Area Office. Some of the former agencies were reduced to subagency status at that time, one of which was the Chinle Subagency, which later became an independent agency.
Records[edit | edit source]
Agencies and subagencies were created as administrative offices of the Bureau of Indian Affairs and its predecessors. Their purpose was (and is) to manage Indian affairs with the tribes, to enforce policies, and to assist in maintaining the peace. The names and location of these agencies may have changed, but their purpose remained basically the same.Many of the records of genealogical value (for the tribe and tribal members) were created by and maintained by the agencies.
References[edit | edit source]
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981, p. 170.
- Guide to Archival Holdings, Pacific Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), Laguna Niguel, California, Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs Available online.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online