Chickasaw County, Iowa Genealogy
Guide to Chickasaw County, Iowa ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Chickasaw County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||January 15, 1815|
|County Seat||New Hampton|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Cemeteries
- 5.2 Census
- 5.3 Church
- 5.4 Court
- 5.5 Land
- 5.6 Local Histories
- 5.7 Maps
- 5.8 Military
- 5.9 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.10 Newspapers
- 5.11 Probate
- 5.12 Taxation
- 5.13 Vital Records
- 5.14 Societies and Libraries
- 5.15 Family History Centers
- 5.16 Websites
- 6 References
County Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The County was named for the Chickasaw people. The County has New Hampton as its seat and the County was created 1851. The County is located in the northeast area of the state.
Chickasaw County, Iowa Record Dates[edit | edit source]
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
Chickasaw County Courthouse
8 East Prospect St.
P.O. Box 14
New Hampton, Iowa 50659-0014
History[edit | edit source]
Parent County[edit | edit source]
1851--Chickasaw County was created 15 January 18151 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Fayette County prior to organization 12 September 1853. County seat: New Hampton 
Boundary[edit | edit source]
For animated maps illustrating Iowa County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Iowa County Boundary Maps" (1816-1872) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
1880 Courthouse burned on March 26 and many records were destroyed.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
- Burned Counties. By Michael John Neill. Online at: Family History Circle.
- When the Records are Gone. By Arlene Eakle. Online at: Tennessee Genealogy Blog.
- Burned Counties Research in the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
Places/Localities[edit | edit source]
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit [For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit [HOMETOWN URL HomeTown Locator]. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Neighboring Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|Gravestone Photo Project||WorldCat||Billion Graves|
|See Iowa Cemeteries for more information.|
- Chickasaw County Cemeteries by Iowa GenWeb Project
Census[edit | edit source]
Iowa recorded not only the federal census but state census through out the years too. The state census contains very valuable genealogical information. Where the census information can be found, what years it was taken, mortality schedules, census substitutions and much more is discussed in the very informative Iowa Census article.
- 1895 - Iowa State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Iowa State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1915 - Iowa State Census, 1915 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1925 - Iowa State Census. 1925 at FamilySearch — index and images
Church[edit | edit source]
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
Court[edit | edit source]
Land[edit | edit source]
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local Histories [edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Chickasaw County, Iowa Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
- Alexander, W. E. History of Chickasaw and Howard counties, Iowa. Decorah, Iowa : Western Pub. Co., 1883.
- Fairbairn, Robert Herd. History of Chickasaw and Howard Counties, Iowa. Chicago, Illinois : S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1919.
Maps[edit | edit source]
Military[edit | edit source]
- 1835-1998 - Iowa, Armed Forces Grave Registrations, ca. 1835-1998 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1949 - Iowa, Grand Army of the Republic Membership Records, 1861-1949 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1862-1910 - Iowa, Records of Persons Subject to Military Duty, 1862-1910 at FamilySearch — index
Civil War[edit | edit source]
Regiments. Service men in Chickasaw County, Iowa Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Chickasaw County, Iowa Genealogy:
- - 7th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company B
- - 27th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company G
- - 27th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company G
:- 7th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company B
Naturalization and Citizenship[edit | edit source]
- 1859-1990 - United States, Iowa Naturalization Records, 1859-1990 at FamilySearch — index and images
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a large collection of digitized Iowa newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Chickasaw County, Iowa Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- The Nashua Reporter. 1953-1960, 1963-1965, 1968-1976 Nashua, IA, USA. Online at: Ancestry.com ($)
- Fredericksburg News. 1932,1935-1939, 1941-1944, 1946-1954, 1957 Fredericksburg, IA, USA. Online at: Ancestry.com ($)
- The New Hampton Tribune. 1891, 1918, 1955 New Hampton, IA, USA. Online at: Ancestry.com ($)
Probate[edit | edit source]
Online Probate Records
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Chickasaw - Probate records.
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online.
Births[edit | edit source]
- 1850-1939 - Iowa, Delayed Birth Records, 1850-1939 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1921-1942 - Iowa, Birth Records, 1921-1942 at FamilySearch — index and images
Marriages[edit | edit source]
- 1518-1996 - Iowa, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1838-1934 - Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934 at FamilySearch — index and images
Divorces[edit | edit source]
Deaths[edit | edit source]
- 1850-1990 - Iowa, Deaths and Burials 1850-1990 at FamilySearch - index
- 1880-1992 - Iowa, County Death Records, 1880-1992 at FamilySearch — index
- 1904-1951 - Iowa, Death Records, 1904-1951 at FamilySearch — index and images
Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
Chickasaw County Iowa Genealogical Society
Meets in the New Hampton Public Library
PO Box 434
New Hampton, Iowa 50659
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- For current information about a center near you, go to the Family History Center Map
Websites[edit | edit source]
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|State Historical Society of Iowa||Free||Select from research collection topics|
|The Iowa Heritage Digital Collection||Free||digital images from a variety of Iowa cultural institutions - results of "chickasaw county" in the search box|
|State Library of Iowa||Free||electronic depository of documents intended for the general public produced by Iowa agencies - results of "chickasaw county" in the search box|
|IAGenWeb Project||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|  FamilySearch||Free||Births, 1880-1935; Deaths 1880-1992; Marriages, 1838-1934; all indexes|
|RootsWeb Resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS.com||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch Catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|GeneaBloggers||enter "Iowa" in search box to see list and links to Iowa blogs|
|Google+||list of groups from "iowa genealogy" search|
|list of groups from "Iowa Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||IA Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Chickasaw County Message Board|
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Chickasaw, Iowa," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chickasaw_County,_Iowa.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Chickasaw County, Iowa. Page 230-238 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 222-225.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Chickasaw County, Iowa," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chickasaw_County%2C_Iowa, accessed 29 August 2019.
To access available information, first log into FamilySearch.