Charleston County, South Carolina History
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Company. Short Sketch of Charleston, S.C., How It Fared in Two Wars and an Earthquake. 3rd ed. 1900. Digital version at Google Books.
- Bailey, James Davis. History of Grindal Shoals and Some Early Adjacent Families (Ann Arbor, Michigan: University Microfilms International - Books on Demand, 1973), 85 pages. Historic incidents and folk-lore of Grindal Shoals. Book at FHL 975.7 A1 no. 25 and Other Libraries
- Bridges, Anne B. St. James Santee Plantation Parish [South Carolina] : History & Records, 1685-1925 (Spartanburg, South Carolina : The Reprint Co., c1997), 541 pages. Includes church records for St. James Santee, 1758-1788 (Church of England); previously unpublished records, 1846-1921 (assumed to be Episcopalian). Also includes cemetery records for the church and lists of French & Swiss refugees & inhabitants. Book found at FHL FHL 975.79 H2b and Other Libraries.
- Cardozo, Jacob N. Reminiscences of Charleston. Charleston S.C.: J. Walker, Stationer and Printer, 1866. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Charleston Chamber of Commerce. Historic and Picturesque Charleston South Carolina. 1904. Digital version at Google Books.
- Duffy, John. "Yellow Fever in Colonial Charleston," The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 4 (Oct., 1951), pp. 189-197. Digital version at JSTOR ($).
- Hagy, James William. This Happy Land : the Jews of Colonial and Antebellum Charleston (Tuscaloosa, Alabama : University of Alabama Press, c1993), 450 pages. A full study of Judaism and Jewish life in Charleston before the Civil War. Book at FHL 975.791 F2h and Other Libraries
- Jackson, Melvin H.. Privateers in Charleston, 1793-1796. Washington D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1969. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Lesesne, Thomas Petigru. History of Charleston County, South Carolina: Narrative and Biographical.Charleston, S.C.: A.H. Cawston, 1931. 369 pages. The purpose of the book was to tell the story of Charleston County in the language of others. Events range from 1663 to 1929. FHL 975.7915 D3L and Other Libraries
- Lesesne, Thomas Petigru. Landmarks of Charleston: Including Description of an Incomparable Stroll. Richmond Va.: Garrett & Massie, 1932. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Mazyck, Arthur. Guide to Charleston Illustrated, Being a Sketch of the History of Charleston, S.C. Charleston, S.C.: Walker, Evans & Cogswell, 1875. Digital version at Google Books.
- Prentiss, James Clayton. The Charleston City Guide: Containing a Full and Accurate Description of All Places of Interest in and Around the City, and Other Useful Matter. Charleston, S.C.: J.W. DeLano, Office of the Sunday Times, c1872. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Ravenel, Harriott Horry. Charleston: The Place and the People. New York: Macmillan Co., 1912, c1906. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Scott, Kenneth. "Sufferers in the Charleston Fire of 1740," The South Carolina Historical Magazine, Vol. 64, No. 4 (Oct., 1963), pp. 203-211. Digital version at JSTOR ($).
- Simons, Katherine Drayton. Stories of Charleston Harbor. Columbia, S.C.: State Co., 1930. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Verner, Elizabeth O'Neill. Mellowed by Time: A Charleston Notebook. Columbia, S.C.: Bostick & Thornley, 1941. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Yearbook 1910: City of Charleston, So. Ca. Charleston, S.C.: The Daggett Printing Company, 1910. Digital version at Google Books.