California, Pioneer Migration Index - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
California, Pioneer Migration Index, Compiled 1906-1935
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of California|
|Location of California|
|Record Type||Overland Migration|
|California State Library, Sacramento, California|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Contents
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The collection consists of a card file located at the California State Library, Sacramento. The index is for persons who were California pioneers or migrated to California from other states.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The cards may contain the following information:
- Place and date of birth
- Place and date married
- Date of arrival in California
- Whether came overland or by vessel
- Name of vessel
- States lived in before coming to California
- Places of residence in California
- Profession or occupation
- Public offices held
- Where educated
- Principle events in history of California
- Place and date of death
- Miscellaneous notes
Collection Contents[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of you ancestor
- The approximate date they came to California
- The death date of your ancestor
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
Indexes and transcriptions may not include all the data found in the original records. Look at the actual image of the record to verify the information and to find additional information
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the record to learn the place of origin and find vital records such as birth, baptism, and marriage
- Use the information found in the record to find land and probate records
- Use the record to see if other family members who may have migrated
I Can’t Find Who I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names, or even initals
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of California.
- Beginning Research in United States Immigration and Emigration Records
- California Guided Research
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research: 1850-1905 | 1905-Present
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
- Pioneer Index File,1906-1953.
- Robert E. Lester. The American West : Overland journeys, 1841-1880 : research collections on the American West.
Related FamilySearch Historical Records Collections[edit | edit source]
Related Digital Books[edit | edit source]
- C.W. Haskins. The argonauts of California : being the reminiscences of scenes and incidents that occurred in California in early mining days by a pioneer.Reprint. Originally published: New York, Fords, Howard & Hulbert, 1890. 1 v.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.