Caernarfon, Gwynedd, Wales Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
(Redirected from Caernarfon, Gwynedd)
Jump to navigation Jump to search


History[edit | edit source]

In 1868: "CARNARVON, (or Caernarvon), a market town, port, municipal and parliamentary borough, in the parish of Llanbeblig, hundred of Is-Gorfai, in the county of Carnarvon, of which it is the chief town. It is 235 miles to the N.W. of London by road, or 240 miles by railway... Carnarvon is pleasantly situated on the E. side of the Menai Strait, where the river Seiont falls into it. Close by is the site of the Roman station Segontium, the most important in North Wales, and which was also named Caer Custeint, or "fort of Constantine," and Caer-yn-Arvon, from its situation opposite to Mona, the Isle of Anglesey. Watling Street connected Segontium with Deva (Chester)." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]

For more information on Caernarfon see Genuiki

Caernarfon Parish
Jurisdictions
County bef 1974 Caernarfonshire
County 1 Apr 1974-31 Mar 1996 Gwynedd
County 1 Apr 1996 - Gwynedd
Civ Reg District Carnarvon (1881)
Reg Sub-district NA (1881)
Probate Court add here
Diocese add here
Rural Deanery add here
Chapelry add here
Poor Law Union add here
Hundred Is-Gorfai
Province add here
Hamlets add here


Administration[edit | edit source]

Years County
circa 1536 - 31 March 1974 Caernarfonshire
1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996 Gwynedd
from 1 April 1996 Gwynedd

Records[edit | edit source]

Civil Registration[edit | edit source]

Church Records[edit | edit source]

Census Records[edit | edit source]

Probate Records[edit | edit source]

Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]

Vision of Britain - Caernarfon

Websites[edit | edit source]