Bucknell, Shropshire Genealogy
Guide to Bucknell, Shropshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Part of this parish is in Herefordshire. See also Bucknell, Herefordshire.
|Poor Law Union||Knighton|
|Parish registers: 1598|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1638|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Shropshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
BUCKNELL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Knighton, partly in the hundred of Wigmore, county of Hereford, but chiefly in the hundred of Purslow, S. division of Shropshire, 12 miles (W.) from Ludlow.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Bucknell, Shropshire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FMP = Shropshire Records (findmypast) - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|Bucknell, Shropshire Genealogy Online Parish Records|
|BIVRI||1685-1702, 1813-1883 (gaps)|
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Shropshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 424-428. Date accessed: 29 May 2012.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 21 February 2014.
- 'Shropshire Baptisms 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- 'Shropshire Marriages 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- 'Shropshire Banns 1760-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- 'Shropshire Burials 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Shropshire, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 22 April 2014.