Broughton, Wrexham, Wales Genealogy
For other places with the same name see Broughton
A guide to genealogy in Broughton, with information on where to find birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial records; census records; wills; cemeteries; maps; etc.
The community is made up of the villages of Southsea, Brynteg, Caego, New Broughton, Pentre Broughton, Lodge and Moss.
History[edit | edit source]
BROUGHTON a joint township with Brymbo in that part of the parish of Wrexham which is in the hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh. This township and its vicinity abound with rich and extensive mines of coal, lead, and iron ore, &c., and various establishments, on a very large scale, have for a considerable number of years been employed in working them. .....That remarkable monument of Saxon industry, Clawdd Offa, or Offa's Dyke, passes through this township, crossing near Brymbo Hall, where it has been levelled for the formation of rail-roads in connexion with the collieries and iron-works.
The parish of Broughton was created on 15 February 1909, from part of the township of Broughton, in Brymbo] parish. Prior to 1844 the area had been part of the ancient parish of Wrexham.The area was formerly heavily industrialised with rich and extensive deposits of coal, lead, and iron ore.The parish church of St. Paul's, was built in 1889. A mission church, St. Peter's, was opened in 1895.On 7 May 1921, a small part of the parish was transferred to the new parish of Southsea.
For more information on Broughton see:
Administration[edit | edit source]
|before 31 March 1974||Denbighshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Wrexham|
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
The parish of Wrexham, and later the parish of Broughton, formed part of the Wrexham Registrar's District.
|1851||HO107/2503 folios 746-815 & 827-829|
|1861||RG9/4285 folios 50 & 85-95|
RG9/4286 folios 1-72
|1871||RG10/5655 folios 31-end|
RG10/5656 folio 75
RG10/5658 folios 109-111 & 121
|1881||RG11/5516 folios 1-103|
RG115520 folios 102-104 & 120
|1891||RG12/4615 folios 1-98|
RG12/4619 folios 96-98 & 113
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Civil Records[edit | edit source]
Births, marriages and deaths in Broughton are recorded in the GRO indexes as:
|1 Jul 1837 - 1974||Wrexham||Wrexham||XXVII (1837-51)|
Poor Law Union[edit | edit source]
The Wrexham Union was created on 30 March 1837 and the parish of Wrexham, and later the parish of Broughton, formed part of this. A workhouse was built at Croesnewydd in Wrexham. The records of the Wrexham Union are now held at Denbighshire Record Office in Ruthin.
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Broughton Parish Church at Clwyd FHS
- Broughton War Memorial at Clwyd FHS
- Broughton District History Group
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849). Adapted. Date accessed: 11 September 2014.