|Breconshire Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Family history societies often publish helpful journals, transcripts, compiled genealogies and host helpful websites. They may have ongoing projects to transcribe records and create indexes. Most societies publish queries in their journals and maintain lists of members’ research interests that may be helpful to you. You may want to join one of these societies, reap the benefits of their expertise and resources, or support its efforts.
Addresses of the societies are for the most part where their meetings are held as they are by-and-large not brick-and-mortar institutions.
Regional Society[edit | edit source]
Powys Family History Society (Cymdeithas Hanes Teuluoedd Powys)
Brecon, Powys UK
United Reform Church Schoolroom
New Church Street
Newtown, Powys SY16 1RB UK
Llanddewi Ystradenny Village Hall
Llandrindod Wells, Powys LD1 6SE UK
- The Society's mission is to enable to all those interested in family and local history of Powys, the ability to research, publicise, and publish information relating to the families and communities in the geographical areas of Breconshire, Montgomeryshire, and Radnorshire. The society aims to encourage the study of family history and the transcription and preservation of records and information which would otherwise be lost.
Breconshire Societies[edit | edit source]
- The Forum's aim is to discuss subjects relevant to the history of Breconshire and they collaborate in organising a history festival in September each year. They have a three monthly newssheet which is distributed by email to all societies and their members.
Brecknock Society and Museum Friends (Cymdeithas Brycheiniog a Chyfeillion yr Amgueddfa)
Brecon, Powys LD3 7DS UK
Website: Brecknock Society and Museum Friends
- The Society has as its aim the promotion of the study and understanding of the Archaeology, History, Geology, Natural History, the Arts, and Literature of Wales, especially the historic county of Brecknock.
Breconshire Local & Family History Society (Cymdeithas Hanes Lleol a Theuluoedd Brycheiniog)
Brecon Public Library
Brecon, Powys LD3 9AE UK
Telephone: 01874 624432
Website: Breconshire Local & Family History Society
- The objects of the Society are to enhance, encourage, and enable the study of local history and family history in Breconshire.
Builth Wells & District Heritage Society
The Greyhound Hotel
3 Garth Road
Builth Wells, Powys LD2 3AR UK
Telephone: 01982 552898
Website: Builth Wells & District Heritage Society
- Builth Wells and District Heritage Society has been in existence for over 27 years. They hold monthly meetings, usually with a guest speaker. Their aim is to preserve artefacts, photographs, and items of interest relating to the town and district of Builth.
Crickhowell & District History Society (Cymdeithas Hanes Crughywel a'r Ardal)
4 Church Lane
Crickhowell, Powys NP8 1BB UK
Website: Crickhowell & District History Society
- The aims of the Society are to promote and encourage the public study of history with particular reference to the local area and to hold lectures and discussions and organise research visits for Society members and interested members of the general public.
Crickhowell District Archive Centre (Chanolfan Archif Crughywel a'r Ardal)
Crickhowell, Powys NP8 1BN UK
Telephone: 01873 810 922
Website: Crickhowell District Archive Centre
- The Crickhowell District Archive Centre (CDAC) serves the small town of Crickhowell in the south east of Powys, and the seven historic parishes which surround it – Cwmdu, Llanbedr Ystradwy, Llangattock, Llangenny, Llangynidr, Partrishow, and Llanelly (now Monmouthshire). These parishes once comprised the old Hundred of Crickhowell and later the Rural District of Crickhowell in Breconshire.
- We are a local history group interested in research and preserving the history of Cusop, formed in 2015. We invite speakers, undertake research, and go on visits and walks.
- Hay History Group began in early 2013 and aims to meet monthly in Hay-on-Wye to discuss, research, and promote history. We hold an annual History Weekend and also the Smith Soldat Memorial Lecture during the Hay Festival Winter Weekend in November.
Hirwaun Historical Society
11 Station Road
Aberdare, Rhondda Cynon Taf CF44 9TA UK
Website: Hirwaun Historical Society
- Hirwaun Historical Society was founded in June 1978 with a view to collecting and preserving local information.
- The Society has been in operation for many years - at their monthly meetings they have welcomed many interesting speakers from far and wide, and whilst numbers fluctuate over time, enthusiasm for local history has remained popular with local people as well as those who have come into the community from "off".
- The aims of the society are to establish, record and maintain the historical make up of the village. It seeks to examine the archaeological and social history of the village and to create a record which is as comprehensive as possible, easy to access by all, and safely preserved in the digital and material archive.
Penderyn Community Historical Society (Cymdeithas Hanesyddol Gymunedol Penderyn)
Penderyn Community Centre
Penderyn, Rhondda Cynon Taf CF44 9JN UK
Website: Penderyn Community Historical Society
- The aims of the Society are to encourage awareness and interest in the locality, to include the local school children in projects involving the history of the area, to promote and inform tourism in the area, to encourage involvement input from local enterprises such as the quarries and Whisky distillery, to celebrate the rich and varied traditions associated with the locality, to produce a variety of publications on different aspects of the area, and to provide a means of contact for people world wide with an interest in the Penderyn locality to pursue their research.
Pontneathvaughan Historical Society
Pontneathvaughan Village Hall
Min Yr Awel
Pontneddfechan, Neath SA11 5ND UK
Website: Pontneathvaughan Historical Society
Talgarth and District Historical Society
Gwernyfed Rugby Club
5 Trefeca Rd
Brecon, Powys LD3 0PL UK
Website: Talgarth and District Historical Society
- Over the years the Society has tried to encourage and gather in new archive material from people who live or who have lived in the area and new additions and leads are always welcome. An ongoing theme of the Society is to record events of today, because by tomorrow they really are History.
Ystradgynlais Family History Society (Cymdeithas Hanes Teuluoedd Ystradgynlais)
Swansea SA9 1JJ UK
Website: Ystradgynlais Family History Society
- The Society's aims are to encourage and develop local interest in the field of genealogy, encourage interest in the historical area around Ystradgynlais, and index, sort, and preserve information about the locality and its people.